Anybody play keys as well as bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lwknives, Dec 27, 2012.

1. lwknives

lwknives

My parents got me a MIDI keyboard for Christmas (USB connectivity, velocity sensitive, 49 keys) :hyper:.
    I plan on using it to make drum tracks, orchestral parts, and key, piano parts. Maybe try and learn keys well enough to play in a band setting. :ninja:
    Ive played around with it a bit, I was surprised at how easy it was to play around and improvise. (in C maj and A min anyway :rolleyes: lol).
    Do any of y'all play keys as a second instrument? Do you have to be proficient at playing keys to lay down MIDI controlled instruments? Is it worth spending the time to get "good" at keys? What kind of tips do y'all have?

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I play bass, keys and guitar. I am self taught so I usually find the easiest way for me to learn is just listen to a song and play along with it until I figure it out.

3. klokker

klokker

In general, I think some keyboard knowledge is basic to any instrument. It's not an absolute, but my recommendation to any bass player would be to have a keyboard background of some kind.

4. lwknives

lwknives

It will be the other way around, I already have a bass and guitar background. I learned theory from a bass perspective (strings, frets and notes) not a keyboard perspective.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Disaster Area

Disaster Area I can't think of anything to put here.

I actually started on the piano before eventually branching out to the bass. I'm going to have to agree with klokker: some piano knowledge is helpful no matter what instrument you play. As for tips, if you'd be up for it piano lessons are pretty priceless; if not, there are also good books and resources out there to teach yourself. (Since it's been a long time, I can't think off the top of my head what those resources are. If I find any, I'll post them here.)

7. onosson

onosson

8. lwknives

lwknives

Lessons are out of the question for at least a year. Ive looked at a few websites and have learned quite a bit already. But it would be great if you could post good links, Im kinda shooting in the dark.

9. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Good thing I had a bit of keyboard background. A long time ago, the band I was with at the time had a gig at a high school for a dance and I broke my left arm three weeks before it. I learned all the bass parts I was playing on the synth and we did the gig this way... :)

10. kreider204

kreider204

I've been learning recently. I had a handful of lessons when younger, but nothing serious. I would say my previous experience was equivalent to about halfway through this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Basic...sr=8-1&keywords=alfred all-in-one adult piano

I spent the last year working through this book, and now I'm starting level 2. I'm already playing some very basic songs (simple Xmas tunes and such).

I would say with an hour of practice a day, at least 5 or 6 days a week, you could be minimally decent in a year, halfway decent in two. YMMV, etc.

11. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

I started on piano about 8 years ago and later picked up the bass. After playing piano, the bass was real easy to get into because I had a lot of the theory down already. It sounds like you have more of a midi keyboard than a digital piano and would suggest just experimenting with the sounds you can get from it. It's not really worth learning how to play piano on a 49 key midi controller, but you can definitely incorporate it into a band setting or a recording. Think Geddy Lee.

12. lwknives

lwknives

I just dont have the time to put in an hour a day, maybe 4-5 hours on the weekends or 1-3 hour sessions one or two days out of the week. :meh:
    I dont know what the levels mean.:confused:

I dont need to know how to do classical stuff or anything mostly I would focus on rock stuff. Im loving the organs! :cool:

13. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I play piano/keys first, bass is my 2nd.

:bag:

14. aseksysasquatch

aseksysasquatch

I think learning keys can help a lot with music in general, I learned keys before I learned bass, and especially learning theory on keys helps give you a better understanding

15. lwknives

lwknives

I did take piano lessons back in elementary school. I dont think I got past marry had a little lamb. (I can still play it though lol).
    Would I be better off starting from scratch or trying to jump in at a higher level? I already know most of first semester theory (chords, arpeggios, scales ect).
    Would I be better off just learning songs?

16. s_mcsleazy

s_mcsleazy

i play a bit of keys now and again.

17. stratovani

stratovani

I've been known to tickle the ivories now and again, but I'm rustier than a '73 Buick! ;)

18. dalahorse

dalahorse

I took piano lessons as a kid. My parents had a very old baby grand piano in the house. I studied drums and piano at the same time, but ended up really taking off with the drums. I also did my theory studies on the piano.

These days I play drums, bass, and keys (in order of profficiency). My keyboard setup includes a Fantom G and a Juno-106. I'm pretty good at synth bass and lead parts, but still stink at playing piano, proper.

MIDI programming doesn't require much in the way of keyboard proficiency. However, the better you are, the easier it will become. I use Apple's Logic software for sequencing and recording. It works really well for me.

19. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I keep a small keyboard around and play it from time to time. I have a couple of little melody pieces I have been working on extending on bass that were originally born on keys.

So, bass is my primary instrument, guitar a close second. What I know of keys comes third, and I can play drums, but only in a very basic fashion, nothing spectacular.

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    God no!

I suck at keys... But bought a synth yesterday. Already learning Metallica, Rush and Journey tunes.

My plan is to play a few songs at a gig with it next year. I did the same recently at a gig with guitar as well as a mandolin a month after I bought it.

Kinda pushes me to learn new instruments quick.

21. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    When I was about five or six, I started piano lessons. I'm not sure what age I started with the lady who was a classically trained Russian, who slapped my wrists if I got my fingering wrong, but piano was a total life experience for me, long before I ever dreamed of picking up a guitar or bass.