Anybody tried any cheap ebay basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Will_White, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Will_White

Will_White

Since most acoustic bass under 500$ have the same dismall output acoustically, and I have been hemoraging money, I have been looking for a cheap ABG for around the house and to practice without an amp. I want a 34" scale and natural finish.
    I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-String-El...ic-Bass-Light-Brown-W-4-Band-EQ-/261263324176 which might fit the bill but I haven't seen any reviews for it other then a fretless 6 string version that was good. Does anybody have any thoughts on it?
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I had a five string fretless version of one of these cheap instruments and I mean instrument by shape only it was so bad even Guitar Center didn't want it I ended up giving it away I would suggest grabbing something used and Guitar Center's used dept online usually has tons of them and if you don't like it you can always return it.
  3. rtslinger

rtslinger

I have not but found answer online which may help

Are harmonia guitars good?
    In: Musical Instruments, Instrument Buying and Selling, Guitars [Edit categories]
    From Bill Xotech

Xotech Guitar Co.
    Build, repair, modify and sales of Electronic Stringed Instruments
    I can be reached on Facebook at Bill Xotech Guitars or Xotech Guitar Co.
    always FREE Advice or guitar dating and valuation.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/User:Bill_Xotech#ixzz2vYtHZxjR

Answer:
    This answer is strictly conjecture and based on my experience and knowledge of Chinese stringed instrument manufacturers it is in the Good range.
    Chance are that many of the private label instruments are made in the same factory that the name brand original is made. For instance, if the guitar you have bought looks like a Cort guitar it may be made in the Cort, Peerless, Zaozhaung even Samick factories. Many of the Chinese factories subcontract work to each other as does the American guitar makers, license or subcontract work in addition.
    Which the question remains, "Is it good?"
    Since the majority of manufacturers are using CNC machines for mass production, the milling quality is usually at a top level. At this point I would have to say the ethics of the builders will come into play on what is used for the wood. Yes there are different species of wood all over the world, but African Mahogany and Honduran Mahogany are very similar in tonal quality as is Agathis and Basswood.
    So don't blame the species of wood, blame the ethics of the particular manufactures if they are not curing, drying or seasoning the wood properly. There are a few MFG's. that skip on this step and use wet wood. This will present a problem to the guitar quality within the first year of ownership. So my suggestion is to buy a guitar with a good warranty. This problem rarely exists with the well known, established factories.
    There are well know factories that use plywood for instruments, that doesn't make them bad just inexpensive. Additionally use lower grade hardware, electronics and pickups, which also does not make them bad, but affordable for beginners.
    For my long winded final answer, Yes, upon my dismantling of a Harmonia Cort style 5 string bass I have found it to be a quality much better than a beginner guitar and is worthy of future upgrades.
  4. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

5. MakoMan

MakoMan

I bought one of these over the Christmas holidays this year:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Ac...w-/360877093571?pt=Guitar&hash=item5405f372c3

When I got it the action was horribly high, but the electronics seemed half decent. I sanded the crap out of the saddle and made it pretty playable. Recently I pulled the saddle again, sanded it down some more and also sanded down the bottom of the nut. Now it plays very well indeed and is my regular practice bass.
    It also sounds good plugged in, although mine came with a wonky output jack that was very finicky about cables. I replaced the jack and now have no issues.
    I paid under $70 for mine. It took some work and patience but I am very happy with it. In fact I like it more than the Takamine I had previously and MUCH more than the Dean I used to own.
  6. Will_White

Will_White

Mako- how long did it take you to do that and how is the intonation on that.
    rtslinger- do you know if that would be the same as thew bass linked
    Slightly off topic but I don't want to start an new thread, but does any body sell unfinished (barewood) acoustic basses so that I could put what ever finish I want on it as well as maybe get it a little cheaper.
  7. MakoMan

MakoMan

It took me about 15 minutes to remove the strings, pull the saddle, sand it down and put it back in. When I redid it and did the same to the nut it took about another half hour. The nut however wasn't that bad... I just did it because I had the time. Sanding down the saddle to an appropriate level is all you need to do. Had I sanded it down low enough the first time I would not have had to do it again, but I was overly cautious the first time around.
    The input jack I had replaced by a tech at a store and it cost $15. You might get one on which the input jack is fine.
  8. Will_White

Will_White

9. gebass6

gebass6

Well!After playing 28 hours of "Catch me if you can"with UPS,I finally got my Harmonia.No problems with the piezo,or the B string volume.The B string IS a B.Not an E.The finish is fine.I didn't expect a high gloss.It's more of a satin finish if anything.

There's a bit of rubbing compound around some of the frets.That'll come off with some steel wool.The tuners are alright.But I had to bottom out on the truss rod to lower the action.I put the headstock against the wall to flex the neck while I tightened the truss rod that last bit!............I got it down to 5/32 over the fret where neck meets the body.My TWB"s are at 3/32 over the 24th fret.At least now I can tap on it.The string spacing is narrower than my TWB"s,so that'll take some getting used to.

The sound is..bass.It sounds like an acoustic BASS GUITAR.I don't expect it to sound like an upright bass.Which is different from what many are looking for.'Nuff said!Also harmonics ring out clear.Which is a definite plus!

It is prone to feeding back when my amp is loud.But I'm not really going to amplify it that often.This is for unplugged practice mainly.Late night.early morning.

All in all it's a fine ABG for the price!

I give it a green for go!
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014 at 6:24 PM
  10. Perfessor

Perfessor