Anybody tried the new Peavey IPR DSP's?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bumperbass, Nov 4, 2012.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass

Just wondering. I see the new DSP has a some nice programmable configurations on it. My interest is the pretty neat high pass filter programmablity, along with the Maxxbass feature. Sounds like a killer idea. HPF plus Maxxbass.
    Anybody? If a decent HPF is $100.00, and a new IPR1600DSP is $389.00 with a five year warranty, I can't justify spending $100 for a HPF when I want another power amp anyway.

2. 4-stringB

4-stringB

I've built two fEARful 15subs, and am using the DSP 1600 to power them, the DSP features are why I bought it, over the straight IPR 1600. So far, I love it. While I'm still trying to dial in the sound I want, at least I have the options to do that. I'm bi-amping the setup, running the subs off of one channel, and driving the hi/mid module from the other, using a PV6 mixer as a preamp. While the 1600 puts out 530 watts into 4 ohms per channel, it's only 600 watts bridged at 4 ohms. I thought the bridged figure should be higher. I can't break the KW barrier, unless I go to 2 ohms, and who the hell can afford/build/schlep four of those big SOBs?

3. dincz

dincz

Typo? You should get 1600W bridged into 4 ohms.

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1 He quoted the power rating for a single mono channel.

I have a non DSP version, to bridge you need to build a special cable that uses both outputs on the amp. Caution here, as it must be wired correctly, and I do no know if it is approved with the DSP version.

I would actually be very curious about the bridging capabilities of the IPR's. Would narrow down my choice for a new amp between the IPR's and the Crest ProLite DPS.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dincz

dincz

I seem to remember they had difficulty driving a 2 ohm load per channel, so I'd expect similar difficulty bridged into 4 ohms.

7. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    So you are saying the IPR DSP's have difficulty driving a 2 Ohm load per channel? I have found the non DSP IPR perfectly happy bridged at 4 Ohms and driven hard.

8. dincz

dincz

I think in the test I read, they were trying to get 800W/channel continuous power. In the real world with the typical duty cycle of bass use, it's unlikely to be a problem.

There's a mention here from Peavey:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/peavey-ipr-1600-internal-photos-617982/index6.html#post8844076

9. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Hey guys, I'm just reading the specs right off the PV owners manual. If your IPR puts more then my IPR, maybe you're looking at the IPR 3000 specs, but if you're sure about those specs you're quoting, please source them, so I can look them up. (Maybe an update to the specs since my version?)

10. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    There is no "Bridge mode" for the IPR 1600.

- 1000W RMS - Single mono at 2 ohms
    - 600W RMS - Single mono at 4 ohms
    - 320W RMS - Single mono at 8 ohms
    - 900W RMS - Dual mono at 2 ohms
    - 530W RMS - Dual mono at 4 ohms
    - 300W RMS - Dual mono at 8 ohms

To bridge you have to make a special cable that uses the outputs from both sides of the power amp. In essence what you are doing is adding the voltage from both sides. Doing so nets you:

~ 1600W RMS - Bridged at 4 ohms
    ~ 1060W RMS - Bridged at 8 ohms
    ~ 600W RMS - Bridged at 16 ohms

11. bumperbass

bumperbass

Amen, CL400Peavey. It's called HEAD ROOM, and I like it!

12. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    I've been wondering how bass players will like the Maxxbass in the IPRs. Send all feedback my way please.:bassist:

The HPF thing has been getting a lot of attention lately. As a side note, that feature has been included in the front end of every SS Peavey bass head for decades.

13. Mehve

Mehve

The combos as well? I did notice that the 110 I picked up a couple years ago was remarkably more resistant to bottoming out than many similar (or even slightly larger) combos, but since I always tended to dial low bass out to begin with, I had attributed it to a speaker with better excursion specs. But a built-in HPF would be another reason for that.

14. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    Yes, at least the ones that are meant to be gig-able like the TKO's, TNT's, Combo 300's, BAM, etc...

15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

FWIW, I bought separate HPF and Maxxbass units.

I never gig without my FDeck HPF/Pre.

I find the Maxxbass unit fairly effective with PA and headphone set-ups. With bass, not so much; I tried it, and set it aside.

16. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Any comment on the bridgeability of the IPR dsp's?

17. bumperbass

bumperbass

I would assume the bridgeability (I like that word. It tickles.) would be the same as the regular IPR's. Power supply and amp circuitry should be the same. I just assume there's added digital control (VCA's) in the pre section.

BTW, I have a Tour 450 as a backup that I had been using, and nowhere could I find the rolloff characteristics of the 'low cut' switch. I quote the manual:
    "This button can be used to help "tame" the B-string on a 5 or 6 string bass, control speaker cabinet
    resonance, or provide a more "vintage" tone. The "IN" position activates a gradual roll-off of frequencies lower than 80Hz. NOTE: The LOW CUT circuit is pre-eq".

So, how steep from 80 Hz downward? Doesn't say. "tame 'B' string" with an 80 Hz rolloff? That's very ambiguous. I tried using it ON but it took away too much low end. I added more 40 and 63 Hz on the EQ by a few dB but it wasn't the answer.
    I think it's a shame Peavey dumb-downed the mid shift control, calling it a 'contour'. I know other manufacturers have done this too. I guess they think most of us aren't smart enough to dial-out or dial in the mids with mid-sweep and mid-level controls.

-BbbyBld...."The HPF thing has been getting a lot of attention lately. As a side note, that feature has been included in the front end of every SS Peavey bass head for decades".

This may be true, but I don't think the HFP in these amps is even the same animal as a 24dB/octave at a lower, i.e. 40 Hz frequency. Again, it doesn't say much in the specs. I think that when a manufacturer puts a button or control on an amp, they have a duty to elaborate on exactly what that button does and where that control has an effect.

I'm not bashing Peavey. IMO, Peavey is number one. They've been nothing but pure reliability for me and when I've had a problem, I've always been able to repair my own gear because of the excellent customer service by way of schematics and parts delivery. I still have my old Centurion. I bought a used Mark IV that apparently was lightning damaged or else hooked up to 220V (totally fried with traces lifted up and melted), but I fixed it and it's been a reliable amp for 10 years now.

Anyway, back to topic. I'd like to get some feedback on the HPF aspect of this amp. I'm serious about purchasing one.

18. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    I've beta tested a few of the IPRs, but I never tried bridging the dsp model. For me, bridging the 1600 was the way to go for bass guitar use. High headroom and the feeling of lots of reserve power is what makes using a PA power amp fun.

19. bumperbass

bumperbass

Right on, BbbyBid! I'm gonna do that tomorrow night. Wish my speaker good luck (pray). lol

20. 4-stringB

4-stringB

How is the DSP1600 bridged. Which inputs, how to wire a cable, any amp settings??? There is no mention of this in the manual, don't want to fry anything...

21. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    This is from the Peavey forums.