1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anybody use Decibel 11 Power Supply?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mmbongo, Feb 22, 2014.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Getting ready to order a Decibel 11 SM Power Supply but wanted to hear from other users first. I'll be mounting it under a PedalTrain Jr.

http://www.decibel11.com/Hot-Stone-Power-Supplies.html

Pretty aware of how it works, just was curious about reliability and if there were any issues mounting it on a PT Jr. or if there is any reason NOT to get one :)

Will be powering about 10 9v pedals, all totaling 500ma at the extreme maximum.
  2. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I have the Hot Stone deluxe. I was under the impression there was ten isolated outputs 1&2 and 3&4 are either 9v or a 12v so it's only 8. There is plenty of power for what you want if you have a splitter cable(not sure the technical name) but there isn't 10 individual outlets. I haven't had any issues with reliability. It seems like it will last a very long time since it's really heavy, for its size, and built like a tank.

Hope this helps.
  3. mmbongo

Thanks! Yeah I'll be using a splitter cable (the 5 way One Spot splitter) on one of the high current 300ma outputs for all of my analog dirt pedals.

After doing some more research on the guitar side of things, these Decibel 11 power supplies seem to be stellar! Looks like the company was started by somebody who used to be at Voodoo Labs.
  4. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I use them! Great power supply and company. I've talked with them a bunch and they are on their game. I installed one on my large studio board & it has performed flawlessly for over a year. VooDooLabs pp2 killer.
  5. Bassman71

Bassman71

I've had the HotStone HC for 18 months or so - works flawlessly driving pedals at 9v, 12v, 18v (with parallel cable), all at the same time. I've had mounted under a PT-Jr and PT-1. Very impressed...
  6. mmbongo

Ordered the Decibel 11! Close to $100 cheaper than a Pedal Power2 and not limited to 100ma on the outputs. Can't wait to get it going on my new (downsized) board. Thanks for all the info!
  7. mmbongo

Allright, any tips on mounting a Decibel11 power supply to a Pedaltrain board? The supplied brackets do not fit on the Decibel11 power supply, as it does not have mounting holes in the side like a PedalPower2. Any tips?
  8. scotch

Disclosures:
  9. scotch

Disclosures:
    I did remove the housing from a couple of Hotstone Dlx's to drill & tap them for mounting screws (custom board installation). It was a fast easy job.
  10. mmbongo

That's the Deluxe, though. It's a good bit taller than the SM so they are just sitting on the Pedaltrain then clamping it down with the brackets without actually attaching the brackets to the power supply. The SM is not tall enough to do that, it's about 1/4" too short. They supplied some rubber feet but they are no help. Some feet about 3 times as thick might help though, but I shouldn't have to engineer this for them.
  11. scotch

Disclosures:
    Ah. I see. Drilling and tapping is probably the way to go then. It would be handy if the unit was already drilled & tapped given the ubiquity of Pedaltrains, granted.
  12. AntonUK

AntonUK

They have some videos on Pedaltrain mounting on their site.

http://www.decibel11.com/Videos.html
  13. mmbongo

The videos on their site do not apply to the SM model because it is shorter than the ones in the video and the brackets do not sandwich the supply to the board.

I talked to Chris at DB11 today and after talking to him (great support by the way!) he clarified it some. Basically like I found, the SM is too short to mount like is shown in the videos.

What he essentially said was to velcro the bracket to the power supply and let it hang on the brackets instead of touching the Pedaltrain and the power supply will just 'float' in between the brackets and the board.

I wasn't too keen on having the PS floating loose like that, so I taped the brackets to the PS then sat it in place and marked the holes to drill. Drilled the holes, removed the brackets & tape from the PS and mounted the first bracket. I didn't run the screws all the way in as to allow some play. Slid the PS in and mounted the top screw for the other bracket. Then for the bottom screw I clamped the bracket to the PS so it could not move then tightened all four screws. It's so tight that it can't float around now.

So, with Chris's help I got it mounted! I still think it's not ideal and the PS should have mounting holes for the brackets instead of relying on gravity and allowing it to just float around. But I actually like having the SM because it IS not as tall as the others and still allows the pedal cables to run over the top of it.
  14. AntonUK

AntonUK

Good to know