Anybody use LinkedIn?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Jan 15, 2014.

1. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I signed up for LinkedIn years ago when it first came out, but never used it (hey, I don't really use Facebook either). So now that I'm job hunting again, I logged back in to LinkedIn, and what do I see...they're asking me for my email address and email password? What the .....? They want me to give them my email password so they can do what ???

Sorry. Call me paranoid, call me a Luddite, but there's no way I'm giving LinkedIn my email password.

Anyhow, does anybody actually see any value in LinkedIn? Am I missing something here?

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

They've never asked me for it. Perhaps you are reading it wrong. I doubt this is the case.

3. arbitrary

arbitrary

it's utterly useless

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Asking for your email password? That's strange. Maybe it's something for synching your email and LinkedIn together.

As far as value of the website, I'm on it. How much value does it add? I'm not really sure. Oftentimes, when I'm being scouted by a potential employer, I'll see that they have checked out my page. I really don't have anything on there that isn't already on my resume. I also feel strange asking people for endorsements. Are there a ton of business deals being made on it? I don't know.

It's another way to professionally brand yourself and have a web presence.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Yep.

I'm on it, but I never use it. It's an okay way to put your name out there so that companies can look you up if you've already submitted a resume to them, but you shouldn't expect it to give you a job or forward your career in any way.

7. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    That's precisely what it is. LinkedIn will, if you want, search your address book to see if anyone else is on LinkedIn for you. I don't do it, though I know some people who do.

I've found a lot of use for LinkedIn. I've made contacts that I otherwise wouldn't have. But you have to put effort into those contacts, you can't just have them and hope that they'll be a resource for you just because they're on LinkedIn. Also a good community and job board too.

8. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

They claimed it was to set up a homepage and sync my email contacts with them. Even if it was legit, I don't want my email synced up with them.

9. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    You don't have to do it at all. I didn't. I still get a little box on the right every now and again asking me to, and I just ignore it. :)

10. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I've had a few invitations to interview from LinkedIn, useful for professional networking too. It's a tool, it's what you make of it.

It asked for your email password to try and sync up with your email contacts, you don't have to do it (I clicked no).

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I use it all the time. I've found jobs for myself and for others with LI. Great networking tool in my opinion. I didn't opt in for all the fluff or install the mobile app, too invasive for my liking.

-Mike

12. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

I had two interviews in the past week based solely on a contact I made with a Clinical Director in the area I moved to. I asked to link with her. On my profile, I have "Actively seeking employment in my field in the Phoenix area" or something along those lines. She reached out to contact me. Two interviews have come from that. I have a second interview for one of those positions next week.

In my experience, I can't call LinkedIn useless.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    EP...maybe you can get a job with the Arizona Cardinals. They hire a lot of people who used to work in PA. :D

-Mike

14. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I am actually trying to move to Phoenix as well. Or Tucson, or Vegas, or even Albuquerque.

I gotta figure out how to make it update my profile when I don't have an employer right now.

15. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Dude, I'd be all over that! :D

16. tplyons

tplyons

They use that to search your contacts to see if any of your email contacts are on LinkedIn and suggest them to you. I click no whenever it pops up.

I for one believe LinkedIn is a critical tool for networking and finding future jobs. I have kept in touch with many colleagues and their career progress via LinkedIn and am contacted by several recruiters each year offering new and exciting opportunities. While I'm happy where I am, I will always hear them out, and some would be a good fit, but I'm very happy where I am.

I'm an active Facebook user; I keep this personal and have 240 friends who are truly friends and family. LinkedIn is my professional network and have nearly 700 contacts of who I've met or worked with over the years. It allows me to keep in touch with every one of them and keep track of their career progress.

17. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

I've only been in Phoenix for a month and a half so far, but I'm loving it! The weather alone for this time of year is amazing. Granted, my opinion on that may change dramatically come July/August! :D

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Personally, I'd rather just make a "professional" Facebook page. LinkedIn is laid out horribly, and editing it is a real PITA.

19. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I went to high school in Phoenix (Paradise Valley H.S. actually). I remember coming out of a mall and the mall sign said it was 119 degrees. That was a tad warm.

The cars we had then all had black vinyl seats. You could not wear shorts and sit on the car seats, your legs would get burnt. We would cover up the steering wheel (and seats) with a towel whenever we parked the car.

20. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Not really. I guess I just go there enough though so I know where things are. I find editing my profile simple and quick when I want to, and getting contact information for my network a breeze. The community is easy to access as is the job board. /shrug
    Guess it's another one of those things... you get more out of it when you spend a few minutes putting time into it.

21. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I get recruited all the time through LinkedIn. I am on maybe a few hours a week and it has been great for me. You get what you put in. Honestly, if you are a professional and looking for work, you won't get many opportunities if you don't have a LinkedIn account.

lowsound