Anybody use the Original 62 P Pickups for rock?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by prater, Jan 1, 2014.

1. prater

prater Supporting Member

I've narrowed my search for new pickups down to the Duncan Quarter Pounders but I'm still very interested in the Fender Original 62.

Anybody use these for heavy rock, metal, or anything similar. How do you they sound with pick style stuff or chords in drop tuning?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

Me. I have used them for rock, not metal. I think they sound great. I am somewhat familiar with the QP sound, but I have never owned them. They are probably great in a metal or heavy rock setting, but not for much else. I think the 62 RIP is far more versatile. The 62 rip carries a lot of midrange detail, so chording with it can create some beautiful deep overtones.
  3. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    If you are playing rock the 62's are great, my preference with metal is the spb-1. More usable tones. You need to be careful using QP's, depending on your type of bass they can be very muddy sounding on the bottom end. Just my 1-1/2cents.
  4. rfslick

rfslick

Someone had to do this, so I'll get the stupid statement out of the way!
    'What do you imagine they played to record all those '60s classics'?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. prater

prater Supporting Member

Touche!

Should have been more specific,

90s Grunge and Nu-Metal.
  7. rfslick

rfslick

Just kidding.... There's so much dissent on here. People get way too serious about anything you say. I just read so much about pro-level players, I want to throw up.
  8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I would choose something different. It's basically a "best of" pickup. IMO it sounds good, but it's nothing fantastic.

I'd look at a Model P or Willpower
  9. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

For Rock, Hard Rock and most Metal it is a great pickup. BUT if your wanting a more modern sound I'd go with an EMG over a 1/4 pounder. It's a much more refined scooped sound compared to the 1/4s.