Anybody want to show me their G&L JB and talk about it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Mal, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Larry Mal

Larry Mal

I'm trading a Fender Jazz Bass for one tomorrow, I'm just a big fan of G&L's stuff, so I'm making the trade. I know they are very similar, I'm just curious what people think about them.

Thanks! I already have an old G&L L1000, have had that for about twenty years now, and if the quality is the same then I'll be pretty happy. But I don't even know this: does G&L use poly finishes? I assume they do. Also, do the BS guitars have quarter sawn necks or is that just the vintage series they did?
  2. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

I have one and and the neck on mine is kinda like a 70's Jazz, it is not like the current Fender Jazz basses, also they are somewhat on the heavy side .... don't get me wrong, it is a very nicely made instrument ... IMHO

[​IMG]
    G&L Bass by jastacey128, on Flickr
  3. jazznrick

jazznrick Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The title of this thread sounds like a support group for addiction/abuse etc.
  4. Larry Mal

Larry Mal

So, when you say 70's neck, what does that mean, exactly? My Jazz Bass is a 2003. How would you say this would be different?

I'm sure I'll be fine, just curious.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

I've had a JB2 for the past 12 years. It's been my workhorse, never let me down. Built like a tank.
    Awesome Jazz bass IMO.
  7. strost

strost

[​IMG]

Simply put, I would not trade this bass for ANY other bass. It's perfect for me. Built solid as hell and sounds like it should sound.

Mine has a quartersawn neck - it's an option, not standard. I love it but if your doesn't have it, it's still a damn fine neck.

Hope you enjoy yours!
  8. Larry Mal

Larry Mal

Wow, that's just beautiful right there.
  9. JSpradBass

JSpradBass Supporting Member

My JB is a 2009 ash body/quarter sawn flame maple neck/rosewood fretboard/2 Tone Sunburst model. It is the best Jazz style bass I've ever owned. The JB has the "jazz tone" I always heard in my head and plays effortlessly. It is a keeper.

[​IMG]
  10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I have a 2010 JB in Midnight Blue, which came standard with a quartersawn neck (now optional). IMO, it is the best built and finished bass I've ever owned, with quality equal to the boutiques. The difference is that it's heavier, possibly heavier than current American Standard Fenders. It has outstanding playability, and the lightweight tuners make it feel more maneuverable on stage than my 2003 Fender Jazz. The G&L pickups are excellent, with clean, classic J-bass tone and some growl when pushed. I loved them for recording, but switched to DiMarzio Area J's to go noiseless.

The quartersawn neck is rock solid, and resonates differently from the flatsawn necks on my other basses. I don't know how it affects tone, but some guitarists say QS necks brighten the tone enough that they avoid them on Strats, especially those with maple fretboards. My JB has a more focused tone than my 2003 Fender, which I always attributed to the high mass saddle-lock bridge, but maybe the QS neck plays a role. Regardless, it's an excellent neck and I would probably order QS on any subsequent G&L.

Overall, simply an outstanding bass.

[​IMG]
  11. Larry Mal

Larry Mal

That's another beautiful guitar! I'm pretty excited, he can't make the trade today, hopefully tomorrow.
  12. NWB

NWB

I have a 2012 JB.

I've owned Squier, Lakland, and deluxe fender jazz basses in the past. I'd take the G&L any day. It has a very comfortable neck with extremely low action and solid jazz tone. It's boutique quality will hang with any jazz on the market.

That's a trade I'd do without hesitation.
  13. jastacey

As to the neck ... you can only order a #8 neck, that is 1 1/2" wide at the nut, a 70's jazz bass that I have has, a more rounded back profile, my later model USA Jazz Bass ( Highway One, 2007 model year ) has more of a flatness on the back of the neck, I'm just saying, not all Jazz basses are the same, you really need to have one in your hands, to see if it fits your wants/needs ...IMHO
  14. Larry Mal

Larry Mal

I've got it in my hands now! Thanks for all the advice. I can see what folks mean when they talk about the fullness of the neck, it does feel more round than the Jazz Bass did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL]

Here's the JB alongside my long suffering L1000, which has been such an excellent bass over the years that I wasn't at all hesitant about looking into G&L's other stuff.

[​IMG]

So far, the fit of the G&L is, not surprisingly, amazing. The guitar has a full neck feel, at the moment, the action is a little stiff, and a little high. I'll drop it down a bit later today. It's a little hard to say, I cut my hand last night and am not playing quite as I would.

The guitar seems to be slightly more resonant than the Jazz Bass had been, I think I could agree the bridge might have something to do with that. I'm a big fan of the G&L massive bridge.

I think I did well on the trade, it wasn't a straight trade, I put some cash up. I'm pretty happy with the G&L action I have now.

Edit: I just now noticed that I have headstock access to the truss rod. That was worth the price of admission along. The Jazz Bass had heel access, it vexed me at least once.
  15. strost

strost

She's a beauty. Nicely done!

Looks like a quartersawn neck (at least the vertical lines on the headstock would indicate).

Hope it works out for you!
  16. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Larry, that's a nice pair of red G&L basses! Congrats.
  17. Larry Mal

Larry Mal

Thanks! I can't tell if it's quarter sawn or what, though. Here's some other shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This grain is very pretty, not sure if it indicates anything:

[​IMG]

I can say, though, that the action is stiff. I think the problem is the nut here. I think this is only the Plek setup, and I hate Plek setups. I measured this guitar's string height at the nut and it's higher than either my other G&L and my Music Man. That being said, it still plays great, even with this rough setup. Frankly, I can't wait to actually get it all together. I'm wondering if I want to file the nut down myself:

[​IMG]

We'll see!
  18. jastacey

Nice bass ... before you fiddle with the nut ....put your favorite strings on and then do a set-up .... that's what I did with mine and I didn't have to do not much else