anybody wireless?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WCHIII, Jan 6, 2013.

1. WCHIII

WCHIII

I went to GC the other day and ordered some new gear. I questioned the bass guy about going wireless and what He thought. He said He would never play wireless as theres a very very slight delay that is noticeable to the player. I know many many people that use wireless and I've never heard this before...any truth to it?????
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

3. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    There is a slight delay IF you are a long way away from your audio source.

The radio signal and electrical pulse through your rig is running at the speed of light. As soon as your note hits the speaker it slows down to the speed of sound. So if you're a long way away from your amp there will be a slight, but noticeable, delay as the sound reaches your ear.

The remedy? Don't roam 200 feet away from your rig.

So technically he's right, BUT it's not the wireless. it's the speed of sound he's got a problem with.

That being said, when's the last time you went to ANY concert and everyone WASN'T using a wireless unit? Not only for their instruments and mics, but for their monitors also? So he's' full of crap.

I use the Line 6 G50. Zero tone lose and a frequency response wider that the human ear's so you're low "B" will sound great.
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    In the early 1980s I used an inexpensive Nady wireless and never had a problem. I've been using a Sennhesier wireless for over 10 years. There is no delay. Most major artists use wireless units. I doubt that they would if there was a noticeable delay.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Tell him 1978 called and wants their theories back
    pglaser01 likes this.
  7. micgtr71

micgtr71

I had a nady wireless that I borrowed for a few gigs in the early 90s. I never noticed any delay.
  8. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Because there's not. This guy was an idiot because he said this and a bigger idiot because he missed a commission sale.
    pglaser01 likes this.
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    This. As long as you're on stage......no issues.
  10. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

The post below is correct. You'd experience that same significant delay if it was wired over distance due to the speed of sound.

That said there is a digital latency of probably 1 or 2ms if the kit is as it good as it gets, but this delay is not as significant as the above. It can bother the hypersensitive player though.

11. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
  12. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Latency is always present with a wireless. Noticeable under normal conditions? Absolutely not.
  13. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I've actually been considering going wireless for my corporate gig - though mainly for my monitoring than for the bass (though both would be kind of cool. Any recommendations for a wireless system?
  14. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    For bass. Line 6 G50. Inexpensive, sounds better than a cable and easy to set up.

For ears. I like the AKG IVM4500. It does a bunch of cool tricks that no one else is doing that really help the feel of an in ear.
  15. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Gold Supporting Member

Albums:
    Ask him to hook up the wireless in the store and demonstrate the delay for you. :D

This will prove he's misinformed and/or inexperienced and most likely just repeating what he has heard from other folks.

Yes there is an inherent delay. NO you will not notice it at any reasonable distance from the receiver.

Best advice: Don't get your information from GC. Usually they'll tell you whatever they think will make the sale. In this case you just got someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.
  16. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

:rollno:

First red flag: a bass guy working at Guitar Center.

At 200' WITH a cable, the delay is over 175ms. A wireless system is not going to add much to this. The bigger problem is the sound quality. You'll need to spend more than $100 (i.e., don't waste money on something like a Nady system).

I use the Line 6 G50 - even with my Double Bass. No problems.
  17. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Gold Supporting Member

Albums:
    Agreed. I've used a Sennheiser EW172 system for the last 8 years. Not cheap but it has been flawless.
  18. videomagician

videomagician Supporting Member

Line 6 G50. Lava Cables Metallic Blue wireless retro-coil cable. Love it. My drummer has more delay than the wireless.

David
  19. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Quote of the day. :p
    DocGeorge likes this.
  20. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

The wireless sounds better than a cable? Is that really possible? (my question is sincere...I really do not know the answer, which is why I am asking).
  21. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Yes, it absolutly sounds better than a cable. Cables have resistance, wireless transmission largely does not