Anyone actually think they'd use a Hyperbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ezmar, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

I came to the realization that I really would use a Hyperbass a lot, I find myself noodling out solo stuff, but it's fairly limiting when your only options for bass notes are E, A, D, and G. I feel like a Hyperbass would actually be something I could learn to expand my skill on, rather than an impressive and extravagant novelty. Would anyone else here actually buy a Hyperbass to seriously play and perform music with?
  2. aparker82

aparker82 Supporting Member

3. El-Bob

El-Bob

For solo bass, I could see it for sure. In a band setting, I can't see myself ever being able to incorporate the tuning features.
  4. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

What the H is a hyperbass?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    I'm afraid I'd be constantly comparing my abilities (or lack thereof) to Mr. Manring and I'd be constantly depressed.
  7. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    Click on that link Diesel.
  8. svt1233

svt1233

Ahaha, you're not alone on that one man.
  9. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Ditto. I can't see myself using on a song. Also, I'd want it fretted

I got decently familiar with some alternate tunings on guitar. This would probably be somewhat transferable.

Doing this type of stuff and learning the alternate tunings would be low on my list of priorities. I'd have to find one for a screamin' good deal - one where the guy owes the mafia $500 by morning, or where some crackhead stole it and has no idea what he has. I'd hope for the former, not the latter... In any event, I can't realistically see myself getting one.

Deisel - It's not until 0:35 that you see what a hyperbass really does. In this video, he literally explains how the bass works: I'm always amazed at how fluid he plays harmonics between the tunings... That's some crazy talent!
  10. your idol

your idol

Nope.. Well not USE use
  11. Darren Low

Darren Low

This is really really really really cool. Don't think I'd ever use it, but if I'd probably buy one if I had a car to sell.
  12. Ezmar

Ezmar

Yeah, you couldn't even tune it to standard, because it uses piccolo bass strings to be able to handle all sorts of different tunings. But I was thinking about solo bass recently, and I realized that there have been times where I'd love the ability to re-tune the strings quickly. It's not nearly as beyond my league as I once considered it, and it's in a direction that I very possibly could end up taking my bass playing.

Who knows, you might be able to make some awesome rock songs with it.
  13. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I like turtles.
  14. Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Watched the video, still dont understand what the hyperbass is. All i could tell was the guy looked like he was going a million things at once, and it looked really.. not fun.
  15. Ezmar

Ezmar

It's basically a bass designed for using altered tunings, utilizing 4 detuners at the tuning pegs and more on the bridge, so tuning can be altered on the fly. It also uses the Zon composite neck to deal with the changing tension.

And what do you mean by "not fun"? I don't see how making music you love could be not fun.
  16. bassbenj

bassbenj

Sorry, I love Manring's playing and the solo, but I've got to go negative on that bass. To me it's like you go to hear a concert of some pianist and in the middle he whips out a tuning wrench and starts changing the strings! Why? Because it's never been done? Maybe it SHOULDN't be done! So we have this so-called "hyperbass" and it only has 4 strings. WHY? Is everybody so deperate to be "home" with 4 strings that they have to install a bunch of klooge detuners just to keep from adding a string? And so I take it that three octaves on the neck still isn't enough range?

So sure, I loved the music, but the bass sure seems like the hard way to do everything. I just can't see it.
  17. Herrick

Herrick

I'm not sure what your criticism is. It's hardly "everybody" playing these basses. 6-string basses are far more ubiquitous. Hell, I've seen more 7-string basses on this forum & Youtube than a Hyperbass. Why shouldn't someone choose a Hyperbass instead of a 6 or 7-string bass? :confused:
  18. Ezmar

Ezmar

There's no reason to get harsh. It would be impossible to play The Enormous Room without it, no matter how many strings you have. It's all about open tunings and harmonics. Even with a 6 string, that's only 6 possible bass notes if you wanted to do anything anywhere else on the neck. Your piano analogy was a poor one. There's no reason for that because a piano uses only open strings. You can get a lot of different chords with a standard bass using harmonics, but they're restricted to a certain flavor, being all stacked 4ths. To getting different flavors, the open strings need to be altered. Manring used to just re tune in between songs, but he eventually wanted to be able to change in the middle of a song.

This bass DOES have a point.
  19. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    If you can't see it, then I don't think you really understand or appreciate what Manring does. The Hyperbass does things that ABSOLUTELY no other bass in the world could do. He utilizes an enormous number of tunings within the same song, sometimes using 3-4 different open pitches on the same string. There is no way to make the music he makes with a conventional instrument.

It's really no different than a pedal steel player using his knees and feet to alternate tunings. Are they pointless, too?

As to the original question, I love the concept, but I can't see myself using a Hyperbass. A D-tuner is one thing. Alternate tunings are another thing. But alternating tunings on every string mid-song is more than I'll ever have need for or the ability to control.
  20. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

I'd feel stupid having one. No way I'd be able to do the instrument justice.
  21. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Mainly because it was the vision of a individual who chooses to be just that, an individual.

I appreciate Mike Manring and with out him we may have never got to see and hear one of the most original bass guitars in the history of music.

It takes a lot of heart and courage for Mike to do what he does and for that alone he gets my support.