1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone Cover B-52 Tunes?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by deepBassie, Jan 18, 2013.

1. deepBassie

deepBassie

Hard to find better party tunes when it comes to getting the ladies out on the dance floor.

I think it would be super fun, but I don't have two female vocalists, a voice like Fred's, or keyboards. I have the usual; lead guitar/vocalist, rhythm guitar, bass/vocalist, drums. All guys.

So if you cover B-52s tunes, can you still get the "feel" of their songs across? If so, how true do you stay to the original cover? I would like to hear how you pull it off.

2. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

If the audience likes the song, and you play it with fun energy, they will go with it.

Just have a dude sing the girl parts and octave under and put the same "oomph" into it.

3. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Private Idaho. I don't cover it, but I would.

4. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Sara Lee FTW! :bassist:

BTW, if anybody's got bass charts or tabs for "Roam", please post a link or PM me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

We are thinking of doing "Roam". Have one female lead vocalist and I think I can do the low part:p

I didn't learn the bass yet, but it sounds pretty straightforward.

7. Astreaux

Astreaux

8. Rockin Mike

Roam is so fun. You're going to like it.

9. David Grunigen

David Grunigen

Love shack... very easy if you have a girl to do the high parts. People love it!

10. Rockin Mike

The Girl from Planet Claire

11. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

I played with club bands during the early 80's and while we did have female lead vocalists, we guys sung lead on many songs. We did a couple of B-52's such as Private Idaho, but that was part of a Segue from Turning Japanese (Vapors). We guys sung some of the tunes like White Wedding or anything by the Ramones: Sedated, Rockaway Beach and Do Ya Wanna Dance. Back of my Hand (by The Jags), Police:Message In A Bottle, John Cougar: Hurts So Good, even 38 Special: Hold On Loosely. The Romantics What I Like About you /When I Look in Her Eyes (Segue), always got them out there. I Think we were one of the only New Wave cover bands that played Bon Jovi's Runaway (very easy to sing). Also Golden Earring: Twilight Zone. You could even go old school and play stuff like the Beatles: When I Saw Her Standing There. That's just scratching the surface of what I played in just a couple of the bands I played in at the time. There are lots of them, and some of them are actually fun to play.

12. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Thanks, Astreaux. That's about the only thing I've seen online and it's pretty much just root notes.

There's a lot of good stuff going on in that track, but it's not very easy to hear all of the details...

13. zachoff

zachoff

I sang karaoke to Love Shack once... There was a girl that needed the guy voice. She was hot, I said yes. Didn't get her number. CSB.

14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
  15. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Not lately but I used to play in a band that did Rock Lobster. That was a fun one.

16. pedro

pedro

Currently the only one we do is 'Love Shack' but it's a ton of fun to play and fortunately we have keys as well as the male and female voices to cover it. One of my favorite tunes to play. Wouldn't mind adding some more down the road.

17. portlandguy

portlandguy

Yeah, I use to play Rock Lobster and Love Shack in a past band - good tunes

18. El-Bob

El-Bob

Another here that used to do rock lobster in a band... it's been years since I was in that band though.

19. the_bottom_end

the_bottom_end

We added Love Shack to our song list and it's gone over great! We do have both male and female vocals, but we had to talk our male singer into it. Once he got started he realty got into the fun of it and the audience has appreciated it. Great bass groove for me to enjoy.

20. deepBassie

deepBassie

Ha! This is the song that led me to wondering about covering other B-52 tunes in the first place. Planet Claire spontaneously erupted during band practice a few weeks ago. None of us had ever played it before so it was surprising a) that we were able to pull it off and b) that it was so freakin fun to do.

Rock Lobster - I totally dig this tune; especially the guitar when things get a little more rockin later on in the song.

21. ERIC31

ERIC31

Another vote for Love Shack. I've played that in bands over the years and it ALWAYS goes over great and packs the dance floor! Fun bassline for me as well.