Anyone doing internet collabs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Popbumper, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Popbumper

Popbumper Supporting Member

Joined up with www.ohmstudio.com about two months ago, they are in beta, releasing in January, it cost me (early sign up) $150 for a lifetime membership, and it's the best money I've ever spent on music.

Over the last two weeks alone, two songs I conceived bass lines for are now complete and uploaded to Soundcloud (one instrumental, one vocal, both completely different styles) with the help of musicians from Australia, New Jersey, and Mexico City. Currently I am working on a third project (another bass line start) with two guitarists (one from Japan, one from Canada), a synth guy (same Canadian), and the same australian drummer.

In addition I have added bass lines to other projects I have been invited to, as well as written lyrics and done vocals for other folks. I have worked with folks from France and Italy as well, and chat on the site using Google translate makes communication a snap.

My return on investment is phenomenal, I can play in the leisure of my home, have full control of the mixing and effects of my music, can keep projects private, or make them public and/or clone able. The pool of talented musicians is wonderful, and the ease of manipulating digital music makes many things possible.

If you have NOT and are looking for a viable outlet, check it out, you won't be sorry.

Chris
  2. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

This seems pretty cool. I'm about to start recording at home again and while I have access to a lot of great musicians right where I live the idea of collaborating with folks abroad is really intriguing.
  3. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

Can you provide a quick run-down on how it works? Who owns the rights to the tunes/etc?

I don't have time to investigate the site while at work.