1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone else calling BS on this Craigslist ad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Thatguy, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Obviously, Fender does not offer a fretless Geddy Jazz.
    A real Geddy has a BadassBass II bridge, so this isn't likely a real Geddy-with-a-neck-swap. Also, the ad title says "Geddy style", but the ad description calls it a "Geddy Lee model".

Flag it if you think it's a fake.
    Cheers

http://memphis.craigslist.org/msg/4301992131.html

2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards

Its not a geddy lee but it is a true MIJ Fender fretless Jazz and the price is right.

3. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    How do you tell without a back-of-headstock pic or a pic of a serial number anywhere? Given that the seller says it's a "Geddy model", I'm halfway expecting to see sandpaper marks under the Fender logo from removing a "Made in Mexico" or "Mxxxxxx" number.
    I guess I'm just skeptical, as I got a bit burned on a custom Geddy recently off the 'bay that was advertised as "mint" but needed some cosmetic touches, a significant setup, and pot cleaning when it got to me. It was shipped with grime in the bridge and tuners and cathair in the gigbag, wrapped tightly in cheapo bubblewrap with the bubble-side against the nitro paint, then stuffed and zipped in the gigbag. The Lowe's hardware box wasn't even marked "fragile" anywhere on it.

So I guess I'm a bit skeptical of humankind at the moment...

4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards

The logo is 80s MIJ Fender style, as are the tuners. The trussrod access at the heel and the guard having the little notch shows they most likely came together.The body has the copper ground strip which is correct. I have bought enough basses to know the little details of most fenders.

In reality it would be closer to call it Jaco's bass not Geddy's. Its a "62" style fretless.

Sorry to hear you got burned,eBay can really be a crap shoot.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Real. And yep, a good deal.

7. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    I missed seeing the copper strip, a good giveaway.
    A-Step-Towards, nice info on the details, I'll try to remember them, thanks.

Ok, I'll rest my paranoia and my brain; the sun is almost here so it's time to sleep 'til dusk. Not vampire-related, but work-related sleep schedule.

8. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

To be fair, he listed it as Geddy Lee "style" in the title...

9. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

He might mean "Geddy Lee style" as in; this bass is black with a white pickguard.

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Did you return the bass? "Mint" means different things to different people. And expecting a private party to ship an inexpensive bass as if it were a $10k Fodera is a bit much.

11. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    Just saw this reply after searching for a different Geddy thread.

Seriously? :rolleyes:

As explained, it needed a setup. I had to touch up a couple of spots on the paint, and had to find the right shade to match. It needed buffing and polishing due to cheap plastic wrap being stuffed in the zipped gigbag against the paint for 2,000 miles. The pots needed cleaning to get rid of static and noise. When I replaced the strings with new Rotos, I detailed the crud-filled bridge and got the grime out. Same for the tuners.

No, I didn't return the bass, as these were easily-solvable issues. Considering I had mentioned it was a "custom," it was indeed a bass I wanted to keep. So I solved the issues stated above. What chapped my a*s was the fact that it was described as "mint" with the exception of "a few minor scratches on the back." So that's what I expected. The things I described, plus the fact that it used to have a thumbrest screwed into the custom pickguard but had undisclosed holes instead at the time I hit BuyItNow, made it far from any reasonable person's expectations of "mint." Mint, to me, means it's an impeccable piece, ready to play, with no issues except any that are stated in advance. Cat-hair and grimy crap stuck in a dirty bridge and in the tracks of the tuners aren't "mint" in anyone's book, I don't think.

As far as the comment "expecting a private party to ship an inexpensive bass as if it were a $10k Fodera is a bit much" goes, I say, no s***, genius, and I didn't suggest it should have been shipped as such.
    However, I think my point about it being shipped in a cardboard Lowe's hardware box WITHOUT THE WORD FRAGILE ANYWHERE ON THE BOX stands on its own. Think about it: it was a Lowe's box. With a fragile musical instrument inside, in this case, a custom-painted Japanese Fender Geddy Lee Signature bass. FAR from my most valuable musical possession, but still deserving of care.
    The "$10k Fodera" comment leads me to believe the person writing it feels that only at a certain price point should bass guitars being shipped have the word FRAGILE marked on the box. Now that writer's avatar seems more than apropos.

To me, 10 seconds with a Sharpie and a request for the word to be stamped on the container at the shipping place only makes sense.

Regardless, I now love the Geddy after my efforts to make it as truly and more-accurately "mint" as it can be! I'm not mad at anybody, and the bass is a fun player.
    But some of the comments out here really just give me some forehead-slap moments every now & then.

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Ask a simple question, get Gladstone's speech to the House of Commons in response.

If you buy a bass from ebay and don't like it, return it for a full refund. Don't cry and claim it has you " skeptical of humankind".

13. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You can write whatever you like on a shipping box, I guarantee it will be treated the same as every other package that gets shipped that day.

14. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

Actually, speaking from shipping experience, writing "Fragile" on the box is like putting a big red target on the package if someone along the line is having a bad day.

15. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

+1

Worked as a mailman for a while. Sometimes, seeing stuff hand-annotated as "Postman! Do not try and post through letterbox!!" was nothing more than a challenge on a bad day.

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You don't want to buy this bass anyways Josh, they carry these at GC, they are very un-hip.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Ad has been edited. No reference to Geddy Lee now.

18. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

That is a great price for a MIJ Fretless Jazz. No case case makes me wonder was it stored crammed into that closet next to that (insert your fav player name ) acoustic.

19. awilkie84

awilkie84

Was the ad modified? I don't see anything related to a Geddy Lee bass.

20. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Best comment I've read all day.

:D

21. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

+1 :rollno: