1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone else find it hard to sell gear these days?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Just a question.

I live in Toronto, Canada, where the economy is and has been pretty decent the last couple of years, but I've had an ad up for weeks and the only offers are from ridiculous lowballers.

I just want this bass gone and cash in hand.

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    In my opinion, there is a buyer for everything if the price is right. Without knowing anything about what you are selling, my guess is based on the offers you have received that you are asking too much.

3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

There is one reason your gear is not selling.

The price.

end thread.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

To be honest, I think things have actually begun to turn around in the classifieds. Things seem to be moving no worse than they were before the recession really kicked in.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Perhaps, you guys are right. Took $50 off the asking price.

7. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

I understand what the OP is talking about. Sure, you can lower your price to move a piece of gear but not get anywhere close to what it is worth. If you paid $1K for a bass (new) would you sell it for one fourth of that just to move it? I wouldn't.

There are many factors at work, probably too many to pin it down to one thing, and they vary by location. Local market versus global can be vastly different (either good or bad) for the item you are selling. However, I do think it has been more difficult to move gear recently - generally speaking, and the overall health (or lack thereof) of the economy has a big influence on that IMHO.

8. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

IMO the prices for used gear have been way to high.

9. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Talkbass classifieds work wonders for me.

Talk about hitting your target audience, and you can avoid all the craigslist flakes and crazies.

Treat yourself to a membership for christmas?

10. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Yeah, I bought it used and was asking $50 (now $100) less than what I paid for it, and put at least $100 into it. Whatever, it is the holiday season and can certainly understand the lack of extra dough.

11. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I would sell through TB, but feel that most of my offers would involve shipping, and I'm not comfortable shipping basses for some reason. Never have been.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

IME, the holiday season seems to be better for people selling gear. I sold 8 or so pedals really quickly last season...

13. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Hey OP!! What are you selling and what is the asking price??

I have seen a lot of people try to sell a bass for $20 less then what it is worth new. I for one will pass on anything that is more than 60% of the new value. But I prefer 1/2 price, that used to be the norm, until the entitled generation started to mature and move out of mommy's basement at 35yrs old, but needed mommy to negotiate their rent cause they have no clue.

/rant /off topic statement

14. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I don't really want to disclose that, solely because being a former subscribing member, I do feel that I should currently be one to advertise my bass. Discussing it here, seems like another way to advertise the sale.

I will say that the new price $1249.99 (in stores, not MSRP) and it's 12 years old and was asking $700. Now $650. Not in the greatest condition though, and I've disclosed all the issues and photographed them such as markings here and there, and mentioned that it has a slightly musky smell to it, which is certainly throwing off some potential buyers no doubt. I don't feel that the smell is really all that bad, I've taken measures to make it better, but do feel I should disclose it.

It's hard to describe the smell, just kind of smells like wood and musk. It is 12 years old though. My oldest bass. It kind of smells like an old piece of furniture to me. But I have two other basses, none older than two years, but they don't smell like anything.

15. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I am thinking you might being offering too much info on the bass. Just advertise it in a different area, or site for a while and don't mention it has any issues or the smell of the instrument. That is a big turn off, because the prospective buyers will just pass over the add to the next one that is in mint shape.

I would word the add something like this,

"For Sale 2000 Fender American Jazz Bass black and white with rosewood fingerboard. In good condition for it's age. $700 obo. For more information or to view call, e mail or text..." and maybe just include one good shot of the bass. But don't disclose the issues until after they look at it. People always think the worst when mentioning negative info in adds.

Obviously I just made up the specs, but you get the idea. Also if it is not a common brand or outside of the norm then also mention that the guitar is a must see.

You are not lying, just don't give away all the info, leave them wanting more info, cause if they actually play it they will be more inclined to want to buy it. Also be willing to negotiate price, so set it a bit higher than you are asking. People like trying to bargain, they feel geed when they feel they got a deal and the upper hand.

Good luck, and let me know if any of my advise helps you sell it

16. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Yeah, that's a good idea. I took the ad off for now. I don't need the money right now, though I will need it in the next month or two. I think I'll just tuck it away until the new year and post a new ad, with your suggestion. I do want to be upfront about its condition, but I probably am scaring people off. I can always discuss the condition later. Thanks.

17. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Yeah, that's the best idea. one mans scratch is another mans gouge if you know what I mean. If you have them there to look at the bass and then show them what is wrong with it, you are still being honest but atlease you are generating some traffic

18. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

TB recently has been just a bunch of people trying to trade their crap on you. I get tons of offers for stuff that I don't list as a trade - I find it takes a good amount of audacity to offer me something not even close to similar to what I'm asking. I get the feeling they are people trying to trade up and trade off their acquired crap.

As for Craigslist, it's just another venue that has its limits. It's Christmastime too, people have to put the money somewhere else.

19. tradernick

tradernick

Sure, that's a great idea if you don't care about retaining some of your integrity (apparently a concern for you), but a bad idea otherwise.

There's way too much overpriced stuff in the FS threads. Lots of guys seem to wonder why their gear isn't selling. This economy is partly to blame. However, there are so many dishonest sellers. My fav is this

"FS is a rare US Jazz bass, absolutely pristine. This is the best sounding bass I have ever played!! Only reason I'm selling is that I need the cash to pay for a surgical procedure. $1500 firm, or will trade for any Sadowsky + cash, Geddy + your cash, Cort + your cash, your mountain bike, your All-in-one monochrome printer or the lint in your pocket"

I wouldn't feel right in hiding anything about a bass that I knew to be true, good or bad. Lots of guys have no problem doing that, though. You just need to decide which you are.

20. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

As a rule of thumb if you can get 50% of new when selling used you're doing ok. I'm trying to sell a $400 dollar pedal listed at $200. Not even a low ball offer.

People buy used gear because it's cheap. And just an observation but usually people putting $100 into a piece is either one of two things. They had the local music store put new strings on it or two they did damage.

I prefer stock pieces myself. I've had too many people try to convince me that their vintage bass is worth more with the new paint job to not look askance at any "improvement".

21. Handyman

Handyman

An item is by definition worth what someone else will pay for it.

Anyway, things seem be selling better in the classifieds section than they used to, but prices seem to have dropped a bit relative to where they were just before the recession hit.