1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

anyone else have a huge Bass Player mag collection?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by andysvec, Dec 22, 2013.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

somehow I've accumulated every issue of bass player magazine, every single one since Billy was on the cover Spring '90 (I even have the sep/oct 1989 special edition pre first issue).

For the first ten years pre-internet they were invaluable information. I think even in the early internet years they had sort of a discography on their site or in an issue that you could search an artist or song or gear and would show you what issue it was in. But this is no more, I've asked the folks there if was any way to do this now and they said no.

The last ten years I can't say I've even picked up an issue after I read it the first time, but I haven't been able to part with them.

I've seen other TBrs sell entire collections in the classifieds, don't even seem to go for much money though. I'm thinking of finally cutting ties with bp and ending my subscription for the first time in decades, with the internet and since I occasionally go to NAMM and also all the info here on TB I just don't get as much out of the mag as I used to.

So what to do with this collection? My idea is to donate it to someplace like Jeff Berlin's Players school of music or something similar? Would like to pass it on to bassists that would flip through them and appreciate them. Any other ideas?

2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I think you donating them to a music school is a great idea! How about even to a local H.S. or college music program?

It's funny because I remember reading BP magazine when I was a teenager just starting out, prior to the internet, as well. I would salivate over all the info and gear and lessons.
    As the years went on, I got less and less enthralled with it and eventually stopped buying and reading it. If I did read it, it was with much less enthusiasm.

In 2009 I moved from the U.S. to Greece. This past year I got it in my head that I really wanted to check out BP magazine again. It ends up I couldn't find it anywhere.
    Choices here are much, much more limited that in the U.S. when it comes to magazines and, more importantly, music gear. NO huge superstores with walls full of instruments. It's all small stores with maybe 1 or 2 brands at most, with just a couple of basses available to try.

I went on a search and it ends up the little kiosk a few blocks away from me is the only place in Athens that I know of that carries BP mag. Now, the first week of every month, I take a nice leisurely walk down to the kiosk, enjoying the day, pick up the latest issue, go buy a coffee and sit down to read it.

Yes, it's full of a lot of the same old stuff and tons of ads, but, oddly enough, I enjoy it because it's an outside look at what's going on elsewhere, what new gear is available, new music, etc.
    In this case, absence did make the heart grow fonder.

Let us know what you end up doing.

3. andysvec

I can totally relate, I've been living on Guam off and on since 1986, even though we're a US Territory with a US zip code we are treated as 'international' with most people/companies.

Locally there isn't a big bass community that I could donate to. I met Jeff Berlin at NAMM a year or two ago and he was the complete opposite of what I expected, what a super nice guy in person! I think I may contact him and try to donate these to his school as I think it would be appreciated and utilized.

I'm close to my 50th bday, already told my wife that I want to attend either the week course at Jeff's school or maybe a rnr fantasy camp for my gift, we'll see what happens :)

4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I'm very surprised to hear that Guam is treated as Int'l when it comes to shipping. Strange.
    I've always wanted to visit Guam. I hope to have the chance to do so, some day.

I think it sounds great to donate to Jeff Berlin's school. I think it's even greater (is greater even a word, in this context?) that you surprised you by being much better a person than you thought. It's good when that happens to us.

I wish you the best on getting your gift(s) on your wishlist!! If/When you do go, make sure to let us all know how it goes.

Have a great holiday!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

I bought and read Bass Player from about 1992 to 1998. Lots of good advice from the pro's, and honest reviews. I think BP upped the expectations of consumers, particularly people that are in a market for a bass guitar. They didn't hold back at all with opinions and examples of fit and finish.

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

I did, and I also had all but two of every issue of Guitar Player from Nov/Dec 1972 through 2001. Tried to sell them for a long time, but only got interest from people who wanted to cherry pick them. Eventually sold them to the local pawnshop whose owner is a good guitarist and music fan (and set up guy). I got the seven boxes of mags out of my home and Ed got some trade bait.

8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I had a subscription for several years and kept them for a while. I saved a few but got rid of the others. I no longer subscribe due to the fact that over the past few years, the magazine has become more about advertising than anything else.

9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

I don't have an answer but am in a similar place. I probably have every issue since about '95 or so and would be happy to move the whole collection if someone thought them of value and it didn't cost me to do so. Like JTE, I'm unwilling to pick through them. I'm subbed, let's see if any good ideas come up. For instance, does Jeff Berlin 's school really want them?

10. andysvec

good point, I'm just trying to think of someplace to donate them to that people would actually put them on a shelf and occasionally flip through them. I don't want to try and sell individually either, but hate to just toss them all.

If I do keep them I think I'll pick out all the oldest ones with bassists on the cover that I can usually catch at NAMM (Sheehan, Stu, Wooten) and get them to autograph their cover then frame it for the wall :) Usually I take jbass pickguards to namm, I must have 50 autographed ones now from namm and still haven't done anything with them-

11. MIMike

MIMike

I was in the same boat; had every BP issue right from the very first one. Subscribed till about 3 or 4 years ago then cancelled it. I gave several issues away to kids I knew who were just starting out (had GP too since mid-80s). I finally went through the ones I had left, saved about a dozen of my fav issues, then took the rest to a locally owned music store for them to sell or give away. I think they get a buck a piece for them.

12. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

I have every issue since the first one with geddy on the cover and two really heavy rubbermaid totes I've carted around over the years..I'm a addict. Sad to see they've gotten so thin as of late. But I'm afraid i may miss something lol

13. andysvec

I'd probably be more inclined to keep them if there was an index somewhere online that had all the artists/gear reviews/charts listed and you could just search and it would tell you what issue it was in-

14. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

I have an extensive (though not complete) collection of BP. I also have and extensive collection of BGM (Bass Guitar Magazine), Bassics, and Guitar Player's bass magazine that I can't recall the name of right now, also not complete collections. Not as big a fan of BP as I've been in years past years.

Far as I know, Bassics is no longer (sadly), it was a great mag. I find BGM to be very informative and an overall good read.

15. Spaldo

Spaldo

I bought every copy from '88 to about 2002. I gave all of them to a library, save a couple of special editions. I still have the first two.

16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

A year or two ago a guitar shop near me was just giving away boxes full of back issues. I didn't grab all of them (space issues) but I took a lot. I enjoyed reading through them, but after a while decided that for most issues I had only limited interest in rereading. I didn't think they'd have much resale value, so I thinned them out and took the weeded ones to the local swap shop. Hopefully some other aspiring bassist will have gotten inspiration from them. The remaining ones still fill about half a bookshelf, though.

17. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    Our stories are the same. Thanks for saving me the time needed to type it out, fellow Andrew. :)

18. Itzayana

Itzayana

Really, if you have about 6 issues you have them all.
    Same old recycled articles about the players who use the products that are advertised.

19. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

If anyone has some older editions they're interested in parting with, let me know. I enjoy reading them.

20. Basshappi

Basshappi

I have a fair size collection including the the first several issues.

21. spz8

spz8

I think BP magazine lost a lot of its relevance a long time ago, especially with the onslaught of the Internet. As others have mentioned, same articles rehashed and ads, ads and more ads. I tossed mine years ago. Except for a choice few, they're good for kindling! :smug: