1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone else like extra extra-light strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by placedesjardins, Dec 13, 2012.

1. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

So, I'll be getting back in the bass game soon. My last bass, I got extra extra light strings, .030 gauge , which I liked more than regular.

It's been a long time since I've bought strings. Anyone else who likes extra-lights strings try/use the Rotosound Funk Master strings?
  2. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

I love using 030-090 sets for some stuff. The downside is that strings that light tend to die quicker IME.

I did use Funk Masters 25 years ago or so, and always liked them. IIRC they both feel and sound rougher than the Hi Beams I use now, but it's been a long time. I do have a couple of sets on order now though, as the price is right. :) Will give them a spin again soon.

If super light string is what you like, stick with them. Nothing wrong with that at all. :)
  3. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Once Trace Elliot made light gauge strings but they don't market them anymore. I'll bet some other company made them. Anyone have a thought about that?
  4. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

i really dig my 0.118" on my 6xer...increase in dexterity, speed, lighter touch... I have Circle K's for lights and Fbass for heavys!
  5. bhernco

bhernco Supporting Member

Ken Smith Slap Master Ultra Light 30-50-70-90.
    I tune my 5 E-C on that bass I add the C .28
  6. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Oh yeah, I had Ken Smith Slap Master strings on my Yamaha RBX170. I know this sounds super naive, but I thought that because they were called "Slap Master" and that there was a picture of a Ken Smith bass guitar on the packaging, that would help me achieve a better slapping and popping sound. So, I bought 4 sets.