Anyone Else Modding Their Ampeg PF115 Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by shoot-r, Jan 19, 2013.

1. shoot-r

shoot-r

Stiles72 has modded his PF115 by adding rear ports from a Ampeg B100 Rocket bass amp.

Another T.B.'er has been expermenting with a different, higher power handling driver for his sealed PF115.
    Haven't heard if he's settled on a certain driver yet.

I myself (so far) have made cosmetic changes to my PF115 cabinet.
    I removed the two, front, top and bottom, black diamond tolex covered, horizontal strips from the grill.
    Took the Ampeg emblem from the top strip and installed it into the front, thicker, top edge of the cabinet. (Looks like a large version of a Ampeg B50 Rocket combo.....I love it!)
    I'm now considering getting 16 wood screws and fastening down the PF lid. (My PF cabinet's lid shifts in transport and I don't transport the PF500 head in the cabinet anyway.)
    I've located locally a used EV SRO (15L ?) driver for $45.00.
    May stick that in my sealed PF115 and see if there's any improvement.

Anyone else made any changes in their PF cabinets?

2. rodl2005

rodl2005

I stuck 3015's in mine. Thus far I've left em sealed, but might add ports to one.
    I tried my ol EV (from an early 90's TL cab) in it prior to getting the Emi's & it was a huge improvement imo
    & btw, pics of yrs please:D

3. shoot-r

shoot-r

How much better did the Eminence 3015 sound over the stock driver and the E.V. driver?

I've only a camera in my phone.....if I can figure how to post it from there to here.....:help:

Imagine a old Ampeg B50 Rocket bass combo on steroids, that's what the PF115 looks like to me with the cosmetic changes I've made.

4. rodl2005

rodl2005

I dunno if I'd say it sounded better, but it now handles oodles more power, which suits me perfectly.
    I found the stock drivers to fart out pretty early, & I wanted it to handle my 200w tube head, which they now will.
    I liked the tone of the originals fine tho.
    The lows are pretty muted as the cab's sealed & the 3015's prefer a ported design, but I like it, & simply add a li'l low from the amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. creis2

creis2

I used to have a PF210. As for cosmetic mods, I added a pair of these:

[​IMG]

Made it much easier to carry.

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

Lid is now screwed down TIGHT!!!
    Lid has no movement when it's being transported.
    It even sounds (to my ears) tighter at a slightly louder volume level.
    :hyper:

8. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Yeah, I pretty much figured when you screwed the cover down (and perhaps put a gasket on it) that would solve cancellation problems inherent with making that big an opening in the cabinet. Any air leak can rob you of valuable DB's of low frequency response. I though the portaflex cabs sounded like they lacked low frequency; likely this is why. Leaks. The point of that flip-top design is convenience and NOT performance.

9. shoot-r

shoot-r

+1.....

As with any manufacturer's cabinet there's all-ways some downside to them.
    For me, the lid movement on the PF115 is it's number one problem.

I've a friend that has a 1960's, sealed, Ampeg portaflex cabinet that he has loaded with a E.V. 15L.
    He uses it as a cabinet only, drives it with a old G.K. 800 amp.
    That 50+ year old, very used, cabinet's "stock lid and fasteners" is solid, no movement! :eek:

10. stiles72

stiles72

I also added vintage chrome handles, as well as side neutrik speaker connectors. As far as lid movement, I haven't experienced that. Mine are nice and tight. And as far as low end, once I ported the second cab it really bloomed.

A few others posted in this thread about other mods such as adding a vintage kick stand and the dog bone style handles: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-portaflex-pf115he-mods-866811/