1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Anyone else not a fan of certain scale/key use?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Apr 7, 2014.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    For instance, I'm not much of a fan of playing in major keys or playing out of the major scale. I can and will. But I love anything minor. I love playing out of the natural minor scale, dorian, and minor pentatonic. Probably because they sound groovier.

2. Sponsored by:

3. rubendlr

rubendlr

Mar 10, 2012
    Austin, TX, USA
    So if the song is in G, do you blur the tonality by playing E minor all over it or what? While the minor opens up a lot more harmonic possibilities than the major, I try not to step on the harmony. A little bit is cool, but I let the rhythm guitarist define the chords. Now, I am not saying I won't get fancy with implying inversions with what I'm playing, but again I'm not trying to completely rehamonize from the bass.

4. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    As prior post alluded to: They're all related, aren't they? Your A-minor is actually C-Major. Your G Dorian is F-Major, right?

I know this is extremely elementary, I know lots will chime in soon, and likely fast and furiously. But, they're all just different shades of the same color. :bassist:

5. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    I don't know but knowing no theory I set out to find out in what keys the songs I wrote were in a few weeks back (had to look it up online) because I started at some point realizing I was often using the same set of notes or chords and I realized that the vast majority of my songs (well like 3/4) are in D (like the one in my sig).... Which is as it turns out only the 5th most used key in popular music, being used in about 8% of popular songs. At least according to this thing I found online ( http://www.hooktheory.com/blog/i-an...ular-songs-for-patterns-this-is-what-i-found/ ). I guess there's something about it I respond to... all I know is from now on i'm gonna be consciously avoiding it for a while.

6. I play in an all-originals pop/rock band, and I love that our songs are pretty much split 50/50 between major and minor. So many classic soul and funk tunes have that major 3rd going on, I don't know why anyone would want to avoid it, but to each his own.

My band's frontman actually writes a lot of songs in Bb and Gb, which is weird because he's a guitarist and doesn't play any orchestral instruments. It's all kind of the same to me as the bass player, but I like that we're not restricting ourselves to G, C, E, A and D. (Although we have songs in all of those keys).

I guess to answer the question, there's no particular key or scale I dislike, but I really prefer songs with some real harmonic movement that don't just rely on the same 4 chords as every other pop song. My frontman likes hitting unexpected chords, and I love the possibilities that opens up for me. Variety is the spice of life, etc.

7. i'm not a fan of keys that restrict the use of those low notes on the e string....since i don't own a 5....

8. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    I find I have to be more creative in a major key, more melodic and less feel maybe. Coming up with a riff to jam to is much easier for me in a minor key. Having said that, I spend the bulk of my time practicing or playing in major keys.

9. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    [​IMG]

I thought that the key of C was just the easiest for most people to sing in and that the key of D was used a lot in Irish music because the tin whistle plays in the key of D.

I find it difficult to sing many songs written in G but Eb usually feels comfortable....