Anyone else send 2 lines to FOH console?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bhoff5150, Mar 3, 2014.

1. bhoff5150

bhoff5150 Supporting Member

Just wondering if I'm the only crazy person who sends 2 lines to the sound board. I run an ampeg V4B through a Palmer speaker simulator to get a great tube sound in one line. The other line comes from an Avalon U5. The avalon provides the cleanest purest bottom I've ever heard. Mix these 2 together with the ampeg being dominant and the U5 just sweetening the bottom end and I'm in love.

Anyone else run 2 lines? If so what are you using?
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    For live work? Not usually.
    For studio work, I like that: one from the amp's DI, and mic the cab.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I probably would if I always ran through FOH and had our own soundguy, but that is very rare.
  4. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

+1
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cableguy

cableguy

Yes!

This as well, but even more rare are soundguys that would know what you wanted for "your" tone.

The whole reason I'm moving toward a 3-way cab is that the tone I will get out of my preamp/cab "should" be no problem to get out of FOH.
  7. bhoff5150

I do always run FOH and we have a dedicated sound guy. We use in-ear monitors so I don't need much stage volume. The V4B works well as it's only 100W. I can get tube breakup in both preamp and power section without being obnoxiously loud.
  8. mattj1stc

mattj1stc

Yes, but I could do this largely because we had our own PA. The clean signal was bass to Jule Monique to the board. The gain signal was a Verellen Meat Smoke preamp to a REDDI to the board. When I can only send one signal, it's the Jule Monique.
  9. cableguy

cableguy

Damn dude, most people would be happy with just one of those.......You're just being greedy.:D
  10. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    Keeping things simple is a plus, and I could even say a must, for live work. So one line, mic or DI

In the studio is a different story, you can mike, DI and do whatever floats your boat.
  11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Sounds very close to the way Geddy Lee does his live and studio sound, except that he uses 3 lines, SansAmp RPM/Avalon/Orange Amp into Palmer Speaker Sim.
    I've not done it live but I always run that way in the studio with my Aguilar Tonehammer. AGS drive to one channel on the board, Dry signal to another. Mix the two signals to taste.
    Given a good FOH sound man, I'd do it live, especially if you're doing IE monitoring.
  12. Bingo

Bingo Banned

If I had all day (relatively speaking) to mess with it and a cooperative, knowledgeable sound guy, absolutely. But who often gets that? But if you are that fortunate, go for it. I'm sure it sounds great.
  13. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

I just started adding my DI signal to the mic I've been using. I ask the soundman to cut the lows from the DI and send it to my monitor. If they are adding any into FOH I have no idea, but its been a revelation for me. I can actually hear what I'm playing, and I don't muddy the stage up with bass I don't need. I get tons of bass from the room usually. 99% of the time I think it sounds too bassy on stage.
  14. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

I've seen people use a cell phone line to call and "confer" with the sound guy's boss. Does that count? :p
  15. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    If I can I like a mic and the DI out of my amp. If I can only get one I take the mic.
  16. bhoff5150

Geddy's tone from the early days is what I was going after!! I also have the Sansamp, but I thought running 3 lines gave me short man's syndrome. I keep the Sansamp in my rack in case I ever have a problem with the Ampeg Tube head, that way I have a backup.... The sansamp does sound veryy good, but I've A/B'ed all my gear and I've come to find that there is just nothing out there that sounds like tubes other than tubes. The sansamp does get close, but the tubes just have more life in the sound. I think the sansamp sounds better with a passive bass than an active one.
  17. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Interesting topic...Should this be moved to live sound?
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wish I could get two lines on every gig. I'd mic the cab and use the REDDI. But I can't, so I use the REDDI and just turn up a lot louder than I used to and make sure it's pointed at my vocal mic ;)
  19. johnpbass

johnpbass

I like that idea. You get a sort of ambient room sound from some of the bass going into the vocal mic.
  20. johnpbass

johnpbass

Ya, the two lines covers it for me as well. Lately, I've been using a Kemper profiling Amp in the studio. The Kemper has a dry signal output built in so the dry bass signal is always available to run to one channel. I combine that with a really nice B-15 profile that I crank the gain on for my "wet" signal.
  21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've found it makes a positive difference in the house. You wouldn't think so, but it works for me.