1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone else think Bassballs in underwhelming?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Slowburn, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Slowburn

Slowburn

I like the distortion on it the best,.

Otherwise, pretty crappy pedal

am I insane>?:meh:
  2. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Insane ;) this pedal is to be honest quite close to a one trick pony, mines modded so has a little extra option but not too much. I love it with the distortion switch on and the response around 10-11 it gives me a responsive but really cool filter sound. I've yet to find a way to effectively use this sound except when I do a feeble attempt at sir psycho sexy haha. But I just don't want to take it off my board there's just something about it, I'll probably end up finding something awesome to change it for but I'll always keep it
  3. metaball

metaball

for an under $100 envelope filter it sounds ok to me. personally i was willing to spend a bit more to get a filter with a few more tricks up it's sleeve.
  4. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Using all five of my senses I detect no crap on or around mine.

Either you're using it wrong or you expect something different from an envelope filter, maybe both. Lower the sensitivity and mess with the internal trimpots to see if it gets better, otherwise sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

The bass octave track in my sig has a very subtle bassballs sound on it. if you can't get that sound you're using it wrong. If you don't want that sound you should probably sell it. (Pay no attention to the overall mix, that is literally my second attempt at being a recording engineer, guitard and singer)

First time I tried one I thought it sucked. A few years later after I learned how to use envelope filters I tried it out and now I think it's the greatest. YMMV.
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

the mini QTron is my fav of the EHX filters I've tried. it is almost as good as the GR1. almost... i kept the mini QT over an MF101. the BB can be cool when mixed into a chain with other gizmos. Comp, EQ, Flange, octave down. The QT sounds good on it's own.
  6. omie

omie Supporting Member

A couple of days ago or so there was a thread titled 'Bassballs, A Big Surprise' or somesuch. Hah!

I get the feeling that people that don't like Envelope Filters like the Bassballs. I don't do funky quack.. but I like a little bubble to change things up for psych rock. The trim pots in the BB are a pain to tweak but they can really make a big difference and as suggested i'd give that a roll. Also, I hate the distortion on it and use a rat to push it into synthy laserness(almost never).
  7. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

This probably sums up every envelope filter ever made. I don't think the BassBalls "sucks"; it's just not what I want. There are those who say they can't get one good sound from an EHX Qballs - I can get my "holy grail" sound plus countless other great and useful tones from the Qballs. It's my "greatest." But, like you said, "YMMV."
  8. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

I have a super fatman and Snow white auto wah clone, both very versatile, and played a few other nice filters, but the bassballs to me has it's place. It's obviously not as versatile as some of the higher dollar pedals, but i got mine $45 used and it's providing me with some fun.
  9. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

It sucks. I am in the process of trying to sell mine.
  10. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Love mine, probably my favorite pedal after the EHX Bass microsynth. Putting the Microsynth right before the EHX takes care of 75% of my effects needs right there.
  11. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Yea pedal
    Sucked
  12. eukatheude

eukatheude

It can work decently when used with a wah or other effects. I recommend doing the external pots mod - but don't remove the resistors or you'll end up ruining the pedal, just like i did with mine. And just when i was starting to like it.
  13. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

I was mostly done with my pedal flipping by the time the Enigma came out, but I did make a trip to the music store to mess around with it. It did take a long time to find the sweet spots in that pedal, but after I found a few, I could tell that thing has all the sounds.

'It sucks' is not my favorite description of a pedal for those reasons. It was too complex to use, it was too simplistic, it was too noisy, wasn't the right kind of grit I was looking for all work for me as descriptions but 'it sucks' doesn't really tell me anything about the pedal except you don't like it.

I think this is a pretty thorough listing of tones you can get out of a Bassballs. If you don't like any of them you should dump it.
  14. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

"underwhelming"??? "one trick pony"??? Just by itself I've found some good tones using the bassballs. Add to that combining and/or blending with other pedals and well... Let's just say that it's become an integral part of so many cool sounds on my board these days. I won't say the bass balls is for everybody but, maybe there needs to be some rethinking on how to use it before it gets tossed in the bin.
  15. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

The BB is one of the first filters I bought and kept it about 2 years. Had it modded and that provided better tweaking. The thing sounds good (although I couldn"t stand the distortion), but even modded, I found only one setting that worked well for me and even that was not exactly what I wanted. Still, it's a good pedal to for entering filter-la-la-land.
  16. winterburn69

winterburn69

Great pedal. Love the sounds it produces. Couldn't imagine playing bass without it.
  17. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B

I owned one for a while and could never get into it, not a bad pedal by any means but it seemed to thin out my tone too much, sold it pretty quick.
  18. bassbrad

bassbrad

Insane, no but you are so full of stinky brown stuff I think I can smell it here.

The BassBalls is my all time favorite defect pedal.
  19. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

Ya just wasn't my thing, sold it off years ago and haven't missed it. To each his own though.
  20. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

I wouldn't say it sucks but its def. a one trick pony and if thats not the trick that you want then I guess it sucks to you lol. I use to have one and found no use for. Sold it on ebay for 50$