Anyone else trying to quit smoking in 2013?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ErebusBass, Jan 1, 2013.

1. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

I've been smoking about a pack of cigarettes every day of my life for more than the past nine years, and its time to quit.

Anyone else doing the same? Have any suggestions for kicking the habit without using nicotine replacement (patches, gum, inhalers, etc.)?

2. Immigrant

Immigrant

I have no advice, but I have experience. Do it now. Quit now.

I started smoking 37 years ago at age 14. Cigs were .43 a pack and years later when the price crept towards the dollar mark, I swore I'd quit.

Now I'm avoiding going to the doctor to get my current health issues looked at. I'm 99% sure I'm in early stages of congestive heart failure. I hack up no less than 25 loogies in the first two hours of every morning. I have an unused exercise bike less than 10 feet away from my recliner and near a TV, and I got on it two days ago for the first time in months. I lasted maybe 2 minutes (seemed longer) and lost all ability to breathe and my heart was ready to pump out of my chest.

My dad died in 1994, a lifelong smoker having quit 4 years previous to croaking. He was on oxygen and had emphysema. My mom died less than two years ago. Lung cancer. She also quit a few years before dying. I've already logged more smoking years than my mom and the reason I continue to smoke can only be labeled COMPLETE STUPIDITY.

I have four packs left, and packs now last three days. I tell myself those are the last I'll buy.

Load up on DumDums and avoid places that trigger smoking. And good luck!! Sorry I couldn't be any help at all.

3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

I smoked half a cigarette last night and then threw it (and the rest of the pack) away. I had quit from March until September last year just cold turkey. My only advice is to stay away from smoky places and make it very, very clear to your friends that smoke that you have quit. My buddy would always offer and I would tell him I quit. Eventually I caved. He's gonna know for sure now.

I feel like everybody has that friend that offers a cig, or a beer, or a cookie, or whatever, and it's not good for you, and they don't do it to be mean, but that's just their way.

4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

On the 15 th of January is my one year anniversary. I took up vaping and it made it soo easy. I'm still getting my nicotine but with out all the poison. Saved about 2500 bucks too. Nicotine in its pure firm is no more harmful than caffeine. Read up on it and vape!

Yesterday for fun I took a drag on my wife's cig; it tasted like the ashtrays smell. Awful. Throughout the last year I took 2 drags on her cigs and about a month ago partying late one night with my drummer and singer I smoked three cigs. What a disgusting thing. I tried one then two then a third, trying to find what I liked so much for thirty years. It just wasn't there. No desire to blaze anymore.

I have no regrets for using nicotine. However once your off the nails, you can reduce the nic content and get off it. You can then continue with zero nic vaping for the sensation and flavor experience. Cherry cola is my favorite, followed by French Pipe flavor, then cappuccino.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I quit years ago, but I would still smoke when I drink. The problem is, I drink a lot.......

I'm gonna try to not smoke at all anymore.

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Never smoked, never will either. Drinking is something I only do in the weekend : 4 glasses of cola / malibu. That's all I drink.

8. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

What brand of vape did you go with? I'm gonna start.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Cold turkey for me. Quit 10 years ago after 24 years of smoking.

10. 96tbird

To begin, I would start easy. Get any brand 510 or 808 cigarette style rechargeable vape setup. 808 cartomizer type are simplest. Get prefilled "cartos" and move on to refilling them and buying juice later. I suggest having four batteries and a good selection of cartos of different flavors to start with. Tobacco flavors are weird at first, not what you expect. Everyone's taste is different. I find some are just nasty. Dekang brand French pipe has a mild taste and a hint of sweetness. In the USA there are many juice makers, unlike Canada, and they really make great flavors. I'll be back with some links.

11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Do it. I smoked off and on, starting in college, but didn't get hooked until 2007. That year was terrible and I smoked it all away and then I got the flu at Christmas and used that as my ticket out. Its been five years and i have no desire to go near a cigarette again.

12. 96tbird

Here's what your are wanting.

4 of these. https://www.canvape.com/product-p/joy510bat.htm

2-4 packs of these. https://www.canvape.com/product-p/510krhoro.htm

Couple of these. https://www.canvape.com/product-p/usbps.htm

Couple: https://www.canvape.com/product-p/510usbp.htm

Then get some juice. I have changed my thoughts and figure you can fill your own right away. Just look on YouTube for "fill cartos". This will get you off to a good start. Just fund a dealer in the US that can supply these or order from Canvape. They ship to USA. They don't let you order juice with nic until you are trusted because if Health Canada's prohibition of importing nic juice. The US has no such problem and many juice suppliers are there. Again coffee, mild sweet tobacco, and soda flavors are good starts. The " nutty" tobacco flavors IME taste awful.

13. Mike M.

Mike M.

I'm gonna need all the help I can get in trying to quit smoking. Been smoking for longer than some of you are alive. To my utter amazement, I had a chest scan done last year with my physical....and all was fine!! They said my lungs look a bit "junky" but there was no sign of anything that shouldn't be there. But I know that doesn't mean than something can't develop either. I'm actually surprised that I'm still alive. My blood work, EKG, blood pressure and all that all came back with great results.

I smoke a pack a day, but when I'm in situations where I know I can't smoke I'm fine. If I go to my parents house for 6 to 8 hours I have no problem with cravings. But when home for that amount of time I'll smoke about 5 cig's. (Outside, of course). I work in a big CNC machine shope and while We aren't suppose to smoke at work I'm on night's and all the smokers light up once the coast is clear. But I have been smoking outside and during the 12 hour work night I'll smoke about 8 cig's.

Smoking is the only bad habit I have and I know a lot of it has to do with boredom. I get very "antsy" very quick. Seems like the older I get (I'm 59) the more hyper I've gotten in some respects. I'm not the type to fly off the handle either...it's more of an internal restlessness for lack of a better way to put it. Simply put, I need to calm down and don't know how to do it because there is a lot of internal chaos within me and smoking does help to calm me down in some ways.

Believe it or not, smoking did cure me of something. From the time I was 10 until 20, I had eczema real bad. It was all up my arms, in my scalp and to this day the backs of my legs are still scarred from it. I went thru the tests, took the shot's, tried this and that ointment and salve and nothing worked. I was a total mess. I started smoking when I was 20 and two months later my eczema vanished! I mean, GONE and it's been gone. So it looks like smoking calmed me down to the point of ridding me of eczema. Safe to say I was a very nervous, insecure kid. In some ways that kid is still there.

Gang, I need help and bad. I know the facts and I've seen some horrible pictures of cancer survivors. Scared the crap out of me, made me quit for a while and then I was back at it. I'm already armed with a TON of sugerless candies to take to work with me tomorrow, so other than that and a lot of prayers (I do believe in prayer) I don't know what else to do.

Didn't mean to be so long here. Any suggestions would be more than appreciated.

14. paradog

paradog

I quit in 1996 but I hope you are all successful!

15. twistd

twistd Supporting Member

I quit in 1996 too. I do not think there is any universal way to do it. Nicotine is both physically and mentally addictive and it's grasp on each person's body and mind is probably different. I know you have to really want to do it.

A friend of mine quit by buying his "last two packs" and smoked them slowly, ultimately putting all forty butts in a jar of water. If he wanted to buy another pack he had do drink the jar. All he had to do was smell the jar and has been tobacco free for decades.

When I quit, it took a lot of mental stamina. I left myself one cigarette, as knowing I could have one, was less stressful. I also bought one box of patches, for emergency use only. I ended up using one during that first week (on a hectic drive to the airport).

I think the advice of taking yourself away from the triggers is useful. I decided to quit over a vacation break at my in laws house. It would have harder for me during a normal week of "wake up, coffee, smoke. Drive to work smoke, etc.". Removing all triggers is impossible and you will likely face some mean cravings. However, you can be Stenger and it can be done. Once over the mental addiction, I could smoke in social situations and not become addicted again, several years later mThe thought of one today makes me sick..

If you want it you CAN do it. Best of luck.

16. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I smoked for about ten years, and quit about 9 years ago. I tried and failed to quit about ten times in that nine years.

My advice is always to try and understand the way nicotine fools your brain into thinking something. It will make you think that it's you needing just one more cigarette, when in fact that's the addiction talking.

I would go to the store telling myself that I would buy one more pack, smoke just one more cigarette, THEN quit. Problem is, you never quit this way.

17. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Thanks, 96Tbird--------I'm going for it!

18. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

I suck. I made it almost a day. I think I'm gonna phase it out. Cold turkey is tough.

19. paradog

paradog

It's a hard vice to quit, but you CAN do it!

I used the patch...before I knew it it was a month, then 2, then a year...haven't looked back...and I quit when they were only $2 a pack!

20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

It's a vicious cycle. I don't consider myself a smoker (I never buy the stuff), but I have been known to have a few drags when I go out to a bar with my friends because they'll offer them to me. I can easily see why some people would have trouble quitting under those circumstances. Fortunately, the morning after taste is enough to keep me from ever buying a pack and picking up the habit.

21. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Life's a crap shoot. Light up and enjoy!