Anyone ever have work done at Chelsea Guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    Looks like Chelsea Guitars in NYC can add a jazz pup to my beloved 2008 American Standard Precision. I'm worried cuz I LOVE that bass but want expanded tone options. Anyone ever have major work done there? Thanks!
  2. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

It's the one in 23rd street right? shame they're always closed when I go there though. Well anyways, bumping this topic up.
  3. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

I've been in there a few times to look around.

Friendly place. Weird vibe.

no experience with getting work done. sorry.
  4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1

Small, cluttered and dirty. Not the first placed I'd pick to work on my guitar. What about this place makes you want to get work done there?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I would consider thinking twice before getting any mod done to a nice bass like that. Look around and I am sure you can find one with the pickup already added. I believe Fender actually did that as a factory offering.

It's gonna close a couple or few hundred to do it to your bass. Thats most of the way to buying one with that setup from the factory.
  7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

^^^That's my experience too, and hence the question I'd be asking too.

If you're close to 23rd Street you're close enough to 30th Street Guitars, which has a much better reputation (or at least a much more visible reputation) for repair work/modifications.
  8. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    I've decided to not touch the bass. It is always my go to no matter what (and I've has custom shop basses, ricks, music mans (men?), American deluxes, American vintage reissues ... I always go back to this bass. Not gonna mess with it. Heaven forbid the guy (anyone) screwed up the routing, the balance is thrown off or the magic disappears. Nope. Not gonna do it. I have a great p-bass here, a Tony Franklin fretless p/j and an American deluxe Jazz on the way. I should be set.