Anyone ever try DR Neons on a Dingwall?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by silentstranger, Nov 26, 2012.

1. silentstranger

silentstranger

I have a set of pink DR Neon strings and a Dingwall Combustion 5er that needs new strings. It'll be a few weeks before I'll be able to get around to using them, but has anyone tried this combo before? Are the Neons long enough for that 37" B, or am I gonna have to order something else for the Dingwall and throw the pinks on a different bass?

Here's hoping...
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    It depends on the dingwal.... Most 37" B string equipped require 39" at least...

If you can measure from Ball End to just past the nut on your B string and it is within 38" then yes they will work... If not, the first taper will be sitting in the nut.
  3. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

You might have to trim the silk and possibly shim the nut slot a bit if the major diameter of string doesn't clear the nut.

Or Lubianiker's installed a set on his Combustion and was able to make it work. YMMV so start by making sure the B will stretch before installing the other strings.
  4. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Wait, you have the bass and the strings there with you? Just hold em up to the bass and see! You could be first!

If the B and E aren't tapered at the bridge end, you might need shorter saddle screws to get the strings down as low as you want them. You'll just have to try it. The screws are a common item at any well stocked hardware, no big deal there.

Measuring my AB-1 it looks like it's going to be too close to call without trying to install the string. Top (bridge side of the ball end) of the ball to the nut finger board side of the nut looks like 38 and an 1/8" . From what Slapinfunk says, it'll be just a tad too short. But that's an AB-1, the combustions have a different bridge. Maybe you are in luck.

Just put the ball end in and see how it looks.

I'd love to hear how it goes, I've always liked the looks of the blue DR neon. There are good "strings that fit Dingwall" discussions going on in the Dingwall forum and in the Dingwall Owners threads.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. silentstranger

silentstranger

I knew someone would point that out :D

So yeah, I got crazy busy with school and forgot about this thread for a while, but I wanted to come back with an update for the sake of any future searchers. My conclusion: it doesn't appear that DR Neons will work on a Dingwall Combustion. I didn't actually take the current B-string off, but holding the pink B up next to it, it appears to be just a bit too short; the taper starts about 1/3 of the way into the first fret. I can't say for sure that it wouldn't stretch enough if I strung it up to full tension, but at the time I was in a hurry and didn't want to leave my Dingwall B-less if it didn't work so I just threw the pinks on my black sparkly Ibanez instead. Raised a few eyebrows at the next gig, I must say :hyper:

Still looking for a US-based source of Dingwall strings to bring this bad boy back to life without paying out the nose for CAN-US shipping...

[​IMG]
  7. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Like I mentioned... You need a 39" winding

There are lots of strings available here in US just not DR NEON...

Fodera Super Long - 39.25" Ball to Taper
    Ken Smith Extra Long - 40" Ball to Silk
    R.Cocco Extra long - 39" Ball to Taper
    Rotosound Extra Long - 39" Ball to Silk
    Thoamstik-Infeld Super Long - 39.75" Ball to Silk
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I am pretty sure Jive sound is a dingwall dealer, contact him he is a member.

I keep telling jason to order dingwall strings... maybe if you do to he will start... haha
  9. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing:D'Addario,Genz Benz,Truth Drums,Evans,SKB,Nordstrand pu's
    Yeah, that's way too short.

10. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

You can cheat it a bit if you shim the nut slot. DR also makes a Super long set with a 40" winding. You might want to email them for the specs.
  11. silentstranger

silentstranger

Great list! Very helpful, thanks :hyper: And come to think of it, I'm pretty sure you're the one I ordered my Neons from, so double thanks for that too...I'm loving them on my ATK so far!

As for where to buy the Dingwall brand strings, DiabolusInMusic is correct; Jive does indeed carry them (username jive1), and for a pretty reasonable price. I ordered my set from Bass San Diego because they replied first, and BassNW and Bass Central both carry them too.

Besides the actual Dingwall-branded strings, there are also apparently some Circle K sets designed for a fanned 37" B, as well as the Payson strings that Blues Cat up there ^ sells...lots of people speak very highly of both.
  12. silentstranger

silentstranger

Super long, eh? Very curious, I think an email will be in order when the time for my next string-change comes...

There's no silk on these particular strings, it's just a matter of the taper...not too sure I trust myself to properly shim it, but I may consider the idea sometime if I'm feeling ambitious. It's promising to hear that somebody has made it work before though!

BTW, that's an unassuming name you've got there; I only just now realized that you're Sheldon Dingwall :p Glad you're here, it's very cool that you're willing to spend some of your time chatting with us. Bravo on the basses as well; I've not yet had the pleasure of playing one of your Canadian models, but judging from the Combustions they must be spectacular :)
  13. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    (Strings with Silk are measured Ball to Silk, Strings without are measured and listed as Ball to Taper)