anyone ever use a Little Mark II straight into the FOH?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by chuck3, Jan 21, 2013.

1. chuck3

chuck3

Thinking of trying it for an "unplugged" gig coming up. Looks like the DI out should do this. But I'm used to Genz Benz and I've never tried it with the Little Mark.

2. Russell L

Russell L

I have listened to mmy Little Mark III through the house system with the Master turned down all the way (so, it was only coming through the mains). It always sounds too bassy that way since I'm behind the mains. Rarely, I've been in a good monitor mix that worked. You really need some way to get the ambience right for where you are, that is, if you want to enjoy your sound yourself. IMO. I'd rather just play a stage rig turned down any day for a quiet gig.

3. chuck3

chuck3

there's no room for a "stage rig" as such. I could use my Genz Benz 3.0-8T Shuttle with its DI into the FOH - done that many times before in similar situations and it works pretty well. I have other preamp options too.

Just wondering about the LM II in this situation.

4. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

LMII is not bad for a DI, but not 100% clean in my case. I recorded using the LMII in the studio for an alternate tone. With the EQ Set flat, the Markbass exhibited a noticeable change to the waveform making the tops of the wave signal more pointy rather than smooth waves from the JDI that was placed before the amp and recorded at the same time. Zoomed into the waveform on Sonar, you could see the change to the sound. Not saying it was bad, the sound was certainly different and not as true as the JDI. It seemed to have made the sound not as clear; blurred somehow. Together with the DI the signal had a little bit of distortion that we ended up using blended in. The two were not out of phase, but the added LMII distortion beefed up the total bass sound in a good way. But still clean sounding, not the grindy SVT overdrive. Just waveform distortion that sounds clean but would still be measured as "distortion" when referenced to the signal before it.

It works fine as a DI, but be aware that it will have an effect on the waveform. Can't know until you try. I find the Low EQ cut point to work well with a PA as it gently rolls off the lows like a sealed 810. This might actually help clean up a signal for live; and the VLE would work as well for darkening that sound up some to make it still sound full and rich. Try it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck3

chuck3

thanks for the comments. That still leaves me wondering a little. Any other comments on this?

7. groooooove

groooooove

i've used it several times, as well as the DI on my SD800.

never once a problem. even recorded out of both of those DIs. clean, big, deep, punchy, clear, articulate, perfect markbass goodness. also used the VT bass into markbass head into FOH combo with and without the MB heads plugged into cabinets, also a great setup.

8. darius8

darius8

I think the MB LMII's DI is post-eq so if you're bass is too boomy you can adjust the low-eq knob to fix it.

9. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

FOH engineers this side are always happy with any of the Markbass DIs as they are a lot cleaner sounding than most amps IMO but I do agree that it is not completely uncolored

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I liked the DI in the LMII I used to have until I compared it to several others. It beat out the $50 Whirlwind Imp 2. The Countryman Type 85, the Tech 21 VT bypassed, and the EBS Microbass II I used to have all sounded better. It will work just fine, but I thought it sounded a little wimpy in comparison.