1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone ever use a vintage Fender Concert amp for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sunvalleylaw, Dec 28, 2013.

1. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

I just got my first bass, and am thinking about what to do about an amp. I have a 1961 Fender Concert 4x10 amp that is pretty similar to a Fender Bassman, that I have used a little bit to just check my new amp out. I am a complete and utter newb to bass playing, though I have played guitar for years.

Anyone ever use one of these amps for bass? Should I worry about damaging my vintage amp if I play my bass through it?

[​IMG]

2. neuro512

neuro512

You wont damage the amp- you could damage the speakers.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I'd worry about damaging those vintage speakers if you're playing bass at anything above bedroom levels, but otherwise it should be fine. How does it sound?

4. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Thanks for the advice!

Sounds good actually! I love the 4x10 openness. But I do worry about damaging the thing. I am currently looking at inexpensive options for my beginner needs. I got this bass because I joined a jam band and we have no bassist, and there are some cool bass parts on some of the songs we are covering. Mostly 90's rock type stuff.

I will continue to read up and find a decent little amp for myself. Right now the candidates are an old Peavey TNT, (because they seem plentiful, and cheap) or a TC Electronics BG250.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Michedelic

Michedelic

Legendary LA session bassist('Wrecking Crew' member)Joe Osborn recorded hundreds of timeless pop classics with a Jazz Bass through a Concert. The epitome of this sound would be "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In" by the Fifth Dimension", especially at the end. His cohort Carol Kaye was said to use the same amp. Obviously, in a controlled recording studio environment pushing the amp's volume would not be a issue, but yeah, in a live band context you need some sort of sealed back cab, and a head with more wattage.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    These are great amps for bass, at reasonable volume, say for practicing or recording, and for low volume gigs (acoustic jams, for example). The amp run into a "real" bass cab sounds fabulous but it will only get so loud before distortion kicks in.

Here is mine:

Attached Files:

8. uglyrumor

uglyrumor

You should probably just sell that old thing to me. I could even trade you something nice, like a Fender Studio Bass. And I'm half serious!!!

9. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Nice amp! And I have a Martin too. (noticing your avatar pic). Mine is a SPD-16TR.

Thanks for the tips! I think I will pick up a used Peavey TNT 1x15 which should keep up with my band needs and be cheap enough that I don't feel bad about buying it. They seem reputed to be pretty solid too.

10. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

HaHa! Sorry, this one isn't going anywhere. :D

11. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Nice info! Thanks! I will go back and listen to some of that and listen for the bass to here it. I will continue to enjoy the Concert using both my guitars and my bass at home, but as I said above will probably get me a used Peavey TNT for band use. Heavy yes, but cheap and should do the job.

12. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I love the tone of my basses through my Fender guitar amps but always worried about blowing speakers even @ lower volume .

13. Jeff Scott

:cool: I got mine used, here is a photo of it.

Attached Files:

14. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

That is a cool one! I got mine used too. A 1996 rosewood/spruce dreadnought.

[​IMG]
    (the tele and the strat don't look like that any more. The tele has a P90 in the neck, and a BWB guard, and the strat now has a tort guard).

Here is my acoustic in action while I played with my Dad a couple years ago. [​IMG]

15. Jeff Scott

Cool, so your dad is a bassist, too! :cool:

16. Jeff Scott

My Martin is Adirondack spruce with Mahogany B&S. I love the Stauffer Pyramid bridge, there are very few photos of any Martins with one. The guitar is, essentially, an OM-18 with vintage appointments, Waverly oval button tuning keys, 1/4" scalloped Adi bracing, low profile neck, long diamond volute, all grade 8 wood, BW headplate; whoever ordered this guitar came up with the goods. :bassist: It is very lightweight, responsive, amazing sounding, and the double Venetian cutaways are way cool. It was made in '09.

I bet the Tele sounds wonderful with the P90 in it.

Oh oh!! Isn't this supposed to be a forum about bass! :D