1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone ever used Select pickups by EMG?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by penguineman, Dec 23, 2013.

1. penguineman

penguineman

I have a pr of like new Select P Pickups designed by EMG and was wondering if they where any good or sound decent?? a friend of mine said he had a set one time and thought they sounded like crap I'm kinda wanting some other opinions on them other than just his. Also I saw on the instructions where it said something about 500K vol/tone pots. are the pots going to make that much of a difference on these pickups? Thanks

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

they work, that's about all you can say for them.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    They're sort of like "Duncan Design" Seymour Duncans. The name is the only similarity. They were on a bunch of budget instruments in the 80's.

4. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

I had an EMG "select" P pickup on a P bass I built and sold once. I didn`t like it much at all, just sounded weak to me. I did buy it used, so I`m not sure if that was how it was supposed to sound though.

-Jake

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

Do you think they sound good? I have found that listening and deciding for oneself is best on subjective matters. None of us, or even your friend, is you.

Using the specified value pots will result in the pickups sounding like the manufacturer intended. Using different values will change that. 500K is standard for humbucking pickups. 250K will result in less highs, more commonly found useful with single coil pickups.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/t...rsus-500k-pots-going-deeper-into-the-subject/

I haven't used them recently, but several years ago I remember liking Selects. Preferred them to Duncan Designed or Bartolini MK. Even had one in a Rickenbacker once, sounded better than the stock pickup.

7. penguineman

penguineman

you know and thats why I was asking some times a lot of people are only stuck on using 250k pots instead of the 500K I know my buddy even though he has a insturment repair shop ( does mainly Horns,flutes,obos, clairnets ect,or drum stuff even though he does do some minor stringed insturment repair stuff like setup and stuff like that doesn't do hardly and electrical work) said he has 250k pots in all his bass's so I was just wondering if that why he didn't like the sound of them. who knows I may give them a quick try before trashing them, or trying to sell them off on craigs list or something or putting them in a bass that I'm trying to sell who knows.