Anyone familiar with Dan Ransom's work?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gbass75, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Gbass75

Gbass75

In my quest for the perfect early 50s, tele-style, single-coil precision bass; it was suggested to me (by a fella at Warmoth) that I consider this gentlemen as a potential builder of my "dream."

Is anyone familiar with the man, and/or his work? I would love to hear some feedback.

I'm embarrassed to say that I lived in San Francisco for five years and NEVER stumbled upon his shop!

Thanks so much TBers!

Cheers!

~Gil
  2. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Curious, I did a google search, and… man, everyone loves this guy and his work.
  3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe

Dan made 2 necks for me so far and a third is coming up. A Jazz dotted/bound and a custom 24 fret. They are my 2 favorite necks on basses I own. Here's the build threads to see the work he did for me.

early '66 Jazz:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/66-dot-bound-j-replica-neck-1005753/
    Supersonic:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/custom-performer-supersonic-bass-904968/

I moved to the Bay Area in '90 and have been familiar w/Real Guitars pretty much since then. The 3 section shop includes Gary Brawer and Dan in the back section. (used guitars/amps up front) Alan Whitman- bass player w/the Mermen/Joe Satriani works the counter for Gary a few days in the week. Stu Hamm. Satriani, and many many more players known or otherwise (like me ;)) haunt the place. The shop was used as a location shot in the recent Woody Allen film.

Anyway - had to get that home-team PR in there. To the point, Dan will make it happen for you. He made the prototype neck for John Entwistle's "Buzzard" bass way back when. He knows his stuff and is a nice guy and easy to deal with. Nuff said -
  4. bassthumpersf

bassthumpersf

Been playing Dan's builds for years, great guy!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

Dan has built three basses for me loved them all. I had him build the body to mate up with the '72 P-Bass A neck you can see in my avatar. Hand made old school bodies and necks just the way you want them. I really can't say enough good things about Dan Ransom and his work. A+++++.
  7. Gbass75

Gbass75

Well, yeah... I mean, I just heard about the guy a few hours ago... and since then I've been on daddy-duty with my four-year-old.

But, yes... He seems quite popular...
  8. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

Look him up Gbass; 15 Lafayette St. S.F. You'll be glad you did.
  9. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Dan has built two custom basses for me and one neck. Fantastic work at a reasonable price. Does great finishes too. Dan has a long history in the Bay Area, with ties to the early Alembic creations as well as the Modulus basses (yes, Dan will do graphite too). Easy going guy. Has a Plek machine in his shop, which he uses on all his custom basses and necks. Well worth the trip to SF to meet him and get a quote.