1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone familiar with MAESTRO basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NZBass, Mar 5, 2011.

1. NZBass

NZBass

Just picked up this 6-string fretless from America, but am rather unfamiliar with the brand. Does anyone own one? Has anyone played one?

Attached Files:

2. bassteban

bassteban

[snif sniff]
    El Cheap-o, I'm thinking

3. NZBass

NZBass

Also, when you think Ibanez, you think decent brand. But when you hear Ibanez Soundgear bass, it's "el-cheapo". So good brand, but cheap bass.

4. mrc0x

mrc0x

I don't know anything about this bass other than it shows up on the Houston craigslist allll the time.

http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/2221151394.html

Every time I'm cruising cheap used bass gear on craigslist I'm half tempted to call this guy to check it out. But at that price, I'm really hard pressed to believe it'd be any good. You never know though. Lemme know how that sucker sounds when you get it.

EDIT: Also, this guy sells basses on there all the time. http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/2200177596.html This ad is for more "Maestros" and they're apparently korean made. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad bass (both of my Schecters are korean-built and play like a dream), but it's at least some nugget of info.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mordechai

mordechai Supporting Member

there is a guy in houston on ebay (houstonbrass i think) who sells maestro basses. he has some nice looking hollow bodies i've been watching, but i've never been able to find anything conclusive about the brand. i believe its unrelated but maestro was a name that ended up on some the b-stock japanese made univox instruments in the 70s or so.

7. NZBass

NZBass

Thanks for that. I found out that Maestro was a brand for fuzz-pedals in the 70's & 80's but couldn't really find out about the basses. Some sites referred to them as part of Gibson? **** knows though. I will let y'all know how it sounds though. Thanks!

8. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm in Houston and am addicted to surfing the local craigslist listings for deals on music equipment every day. I noticed the same guy was posting similar listings all the time...always a guitar laying on a tiled floor (usually on a blanket) next to some white cabinets. I was suspicious about this until I found the guy's eBay profile, which says:

It seems like a legitimate business, and as of the date of this post, he has a feedback rating of 12279. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean anything about the quality of Maestro instruments, but at least at helps resolve the question of whether they are being sold by some fly-by-night hooligan.

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

They are your typical imported far eastern bass.

Usually decent wood, often sub par or garbage electronics.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

11. millsbass5

millsbass5

Good one! +1!!:D

On topic:I absolutely love that grain.

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I'll let you know in a few days :D I picked up a cheap 6er they were selling on ebay. I wanted something to mess around with rather than investing a bunch of money and then decide I don't like a 6 string. I'm assuming it's going to be asian made, cheap components, hopefully will play nicely with a decent setup.

13. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Is it that fretless?

I'm convinced that grain on top isn't real.

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Fretted. It's a sunburst with a flame top, probably a photo-flame type deal but I'll know more when I have the bass in hand. Due to be delivered tuesday.

15. Porkbun

Porkbun

Im going to interpret that as I please

16. jimmydean

jimmydean

Just bought a Musicman style bass because I wanted to make it fretless ,and the quality of the bass is so good that I have decided to leave it fretted and to buy another for the fretless. I bought a natural finish,two pickup model and except for being passive,tuners and the bridge , I think it's better than the two genuine MM basses I have owned. You can't go wrong with this model bass , the natural finish is sweet . You will need to use springs or foam to adjust the pickups .This is not a OPL copy,this is a passive MM bass.

17. BassClefJean

BassClefJean

You bought from houstonbrass?

18. jimmydean

jimmydean

I bought the bass from a store in Texas called VIOLIN KING .

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I have a maestro Stingray 5 copy. The price is cheap. It came missing a string tree. The electronics malfunctioned. I installed an Audere 4 band active electronics. I also had to level the frets.

After the fixes I now have a nice 5 string bass that looks nice and plays nice.

Maestro 5 string bass

[​IMG]

20. Lee H

Lee H

sometimes cheap instruments can be fun

I found a beat up korean made hamer 12 string bass in a pawn shop, for $350... I have had an absolute blast with it. I plan on upgrading the pickups and preamp at some time, but for now< I just enjoy iit for what it is

21. jimmydean

jimmydean

Ric5 ,that's what I plan to do also,but I will make it fretless. Nice bass for $135.00 aye ?