anyone got a spare?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mike Mckay, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Mike Mckay

Mike Mckay

Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a crisis here. It turns out I really want a Boss FZ-2 (Hyper Fuzz) like really really bad. A while back I bought a used DS-1 on Craigslist for the sake of having some fuzz but I could never really get that gritty tone I wanted out of it so I just stopped using it entirely. So I was wondering if anyone could sell me the Hyper Fuzz or knows where it can be ordered on the web, hopefully at a reasonable price. I'm aware that these have been discontinued for awhile so I wouldn't surprised if anyone doesn't help me but any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike.

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
  3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    The FZ-2 is starting to gain popularity,...so the values are being inflated a bit me thinks.

4. insomniac2295

insomniac2295

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    The Berhinger SF300 is a readily available clone of the FZ-2,...albeit in a plastic enclosure.

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm curious about what samples you've heard that've convinced you that you need a Hyper Fuzz.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I imagine the Juan Alderete fuzz shootout. He and the bassist from some bands I never heard of had a Hyper Fuzz and it came off really well in their clips.

9. mouthmw

mouthmw

I think Fieldy used one in one of the Korn songs and it sounded terrible in that instructional video of his.

10. behndy

behndy

lol. um....... wow. you mean...... something Fieldy did solo'd sounded......... crap?

WEIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD.

11. mouthmw

mouthmw

No, it was in a band setting, he had the instrumental track play besides him. :D :p

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    I've seen mentions of Dopethrone and Electric Wizard when referencing the FZ-2,...but I think they may have been guitar references.

13. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

Yeah, Fieldy is using an FZ-2 in the verses of "Falling Away From Me" He must have the tone cranked all the way to the treble side, because it sounds pretty brittle in that song. That plus his normal ├╝ber-scooped tone does wonders for it.

14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Ah. Hadn't kept tabs on hot topics of the day in fuzz. At the risk of blasphemy in the effects forum, there are plenty of fuzz pedals that are still in production, and at reasonable price points that you might want to consider before racing after something that's going to be harder to track down and probably costlier as a result.

You may want to upgrade your amplifier first as well, it may not be the best voicing to show off your holy grail of fuzz pedals, once you get it.:)

15. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

It's definitely Juan's videos that will end up driving the "want level" in some of the pedals way up. I'll admit I'm not really a fan of Boss pedals, but considered seeking one of these out after hearing the video...

16. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Media:
    Juan being 'the man' is what makes those sound good.

17. Mike Mckay

Mike Mckay

I left this thread thinking it'd be dead for a couple months. Thanks for all your help guys please continue to drop any more info/ads/sites.

18. Mike Mckay

Mike Mckay

Now a long reply to some posts...

@warick.hoy yeah seriously. I first started playing I was just settling on about any pedal that produced any incoherent noise at that moment. It's such an under rated pedal. Purest of fuzz I've heard yet. Been hearing some mixed reviews of the Berhinger, will get it as a last resort MAYBE. Yes I've been obsessed with EW tone for a long time but really I just enjoy fuzz in general and to own a pedal that can produce EW's sound would be epic.

@Unrepresented Exactly which is why I'm on the verge of purchasing an Orange BX amp or an ampeg BA-115

@bigchiefbc Really? I always heard he used a Boss ODB-3. Maybe I'm wrong but it's definitely capable.

@P-oddz See? An even better reason to get one.

19. Moloch666

Moloch666

Picked one of these up recently on TGP for the Dopethrone/Come My Fanatics guitar tone.
    Well worth trying to get a hold of one, but you will have to hunt.

Keep your eyes out on TB Classifieds, ILF and TGP and one will pop up...

20. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

I don't know for certain, but wikipedia says he uses an FZ-2, and doesn't mention an ODB-3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Arvizu

And there is a vid on Youtube of someone covering that song using an FZ-2, and it sounds pretty damn exact to me.