Anyone got custom effects??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zorth41, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Zorth41

Zorth41

I was wondering if any TBers built there own effects? If so, are any for sale? Id like to see what yall have built
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

There's some guy on here named Johnk. He built himself a pedal once. It looked nice! Perhaps he will show it to us?
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hahaha, good one. I see what you did there.

Also I believe Vlad does as well. There are quite a few of us that build our own effects on TB. I have fiddled with modding but never built any. I always wanted to. And probably will one of these days. JohnK is the man though!
  4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, I've been known to build a few. ;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

Yeah tons of great builders on here. A lot really well known, Darkglass and 3leaf audio builders are on here, the Iron Ether gentleman and plenty others i'm sure.
  7. Zorth41

Zorth41

Really?, how would one get started into the world of building effects?
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

A LOT of research, asking questions and experience. Oh, and patience. There are other forums this express purpose. DIYstompboxes.com is one of them. The gear page has some pretty cool threads to peruse. Tons of info on the internet. Just gotta put in the time and do all the studying.
  9. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

I follow JohnK around and pick out projects he makes sound easy enough... of course he makes it all sound easy.
  10. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

Ive bought a few of those, lol
  11. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

I've built a few kit guitar pedals. Mostly for guitar but most of the ones I pulled out of storage stopped working for some reason. I also have a big muff that a guy on the telecaster forum modded for me. It's done up as a blend between a rams head and a Russian (russian low end and gritty top end from the rams head). It's a nice sounding pedal and having "custom made for Russ Purdy" written inside makes me feel special haha.
  12. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

Yeah, I've found Veroboard layouts online, so I pick the ones I find interesting and build em up (like ten so far).
    These are mostly clones of in-production effects, with my choice of component quality and box layout. I have yet to design my own circuit though.

I'm just barely beginning to understand input/output impedance, capacitor/resistor values relative to bass response, potentiometers...etc..

Right now I just solder by numbers whatever I find online.
    But I do rearrange the box designs to suit my aesthetic preferences.

Basically I do a web search for whatever effect I'm interested in and add 'layout' to it and go from there.

I have designed and built my own passive utility boxes though.
  13. Jensby design

Jensby design

I've made many prototypes, documented it all thoroughly, moved house never to my notes again :mad:
    I have came close to what I had but have just a little disappointed so no builds yet.
    Was working on a (LowPass) envelope filter, fuzz, and isolate dirty boost that added some grit to the mid-range leaving the lows and highs uneffected :crying: I miss that one :bawl:
  14. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

Yup, this is what it looks like to start into it. I'm in the same boat. You learn by doing and by reading a lot on what other people do. You learn the most when you have to troubleshoot you mistakes because it forces you to look deeper into what is going on in the circuit. I haven't designed anything per-say but I have combined different mod ideas to create a unique fuzz that is my favorite of any fuzz I've played.
  15. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

Yeah, I think fuzz tweaking is a great place to start.

I'm about to build up a Green Muff clone and tweak around with that; basically socketing everything to mix and match parts to taste.
  16. Jensby design

Jensby design

It really is.

Get a breadboard, click http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/projects/ :rolleyes: well I guess you might want to go to one of these first:
    http://www.taydaelectronics.com/
    http://www.mammothelectronics.com/
    http://www.jameco.com/
    :cool: heh I found Mammoth Electronics when looking for the schematic for the Wooly Mammoth :D happy accident :smug:
    Anyway, start with something like the Bazz Fuss or the Fuzz Face (holy crap their are a lot of mods for that one)
    Funny thing the Wooly Mammoth is basically a modded silicon Fuzz Face :rolleyes:
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't build but I bought one of John's pedals. A Greedtone Overdrive clone that has an awesome 3-way switch that gives you full range, a 5k highs rolloff and a 2 or 3k highs rolloff, plus a switch that gives you a slight bass boost. Love it.
  18. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I have built some BYOC clones but never anything purely custom.

On the whole, there are people here that are much better than me at that kind of thing. and cheers to them!