1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone had jack socket problems with their G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Makatak, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Makatak

Makatak

Just picked up a JB2 Tribute , awesome Bass which ill keep and flick my other Jazz , I think ive found " home " ! . The thing is after a few minutes playing it screams and then cuts out until I wiggle the jack plug and its away again, only a socket replacement I know but my question is , having the US G&L componentry is the ID of the socket different to say Japanese or european measurements causing a " loose " fit for certain types of jack plugs ?

2. johnson79

johnson79

Have you tried a different cord?

You probably just need to bend in the contact inside the jack to make a better connection.

3. chadds

chadds

They do wear out. Look inside does it look rusty or gold or coppery?
    It's warn if it doesn't look like chrome/silver. If so you are getting intermittent contact. Just replace and move on with your life. Switchcraft is a good industry standard.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

is it just a little round hole in the bass with no plate around it or anything?

if so, that's a "barrel jack", and they just wear out. replace it with a real switchcraft (#151 for passive, #152B for active) and you're good for a few more years.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

+1 on the barrel jack. I had an intermittent one. However the contact pin inside in mounted, it came loose with typical wear and tear. If you have one of those replace it.