1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone have a fender deluxe active jazz v?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkybass, Jan 22, 2014.

1. funkybass

funkybass

Just wondering if anyone has a deluxe active jazz v and if so how they like it?
  2. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

I have a 2005 Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5 Swamp Ash that is active but not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for.
    As far as liking it, I bought it new via mail order so it was sight unseen. The build quality, fit and finish and playability were fantastic. However, I was less than impressed with the sound. I ended up swapping out the stock preamp with a John East retro deluxe and the noiseless pickups with Bart's and then put La Bella Tapewounds on it. It now sounds as great as it looks.
    Keep in mind this is a 2005 Fender. I think they improved significantly in 2008 and all the newest ones I've played sounded fantastic stock.
    Here's a pic...(its the vintage cherry burst on the left)
    [​IMG]
  3. arginator

arginator Supporting Member

I have a MIM Jazz Deluxe V. Wasn't happy with the preamp, so I replaced it with an Audede JZ3d. Much better.
  4. bassbenj

bassbenj

I have a MIM jazz V active and I was very unhappy with the "noiseless" pickup tone (mine is 2002) and B string wasn't anything to write home about either. The rest of it was excellent. Excellent neck, (even though I hate the neck profile) excellent frets, I even like the electronics (I did have the mids pot die which I understand is a common active Fender fail).

So with a bit of setup and tweaking and the addition of SCN pickups I would put it up against any Fender V now. As noted by GbassNorth, post 2008 Fenders have the kind of stuff I had to do taken care of and are excellent.

So whenever a Fender-shaped headstock is needed this one really does the job. Yeah, I'm really happy with it. And since I don't play 4 strings anymore except under duress, It's great that it's a Fender and also a 5er.

However, when a Fender-shaped headstock is not required, my choice would be my USA G&L L2500 instead.