1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone have any experience with Ametto or Keith, Curtis & Clifton basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jumpshotjonny, Aug 27, 2012.

1. jumpshotjonny

jumpshotjonny

So I'm a self taught electric bass guitar player. I've always wanted to learn how to play upright bass and I've decided there's no better time than the present.

There doesn't seem to be many options for places to buy/rent upright basses here in Central Florida (if anyone knows of any shops I should check out let me know). There's a a shop pretty close to me called Atlantic Strings and they carry upright basses.

They carry entry level basses from a couple of different makers Ametto and Keith, Curtis & Clifton. I don't know too much about upright bass makers but I've seen on the forums a lot of people have good things to say about makers like Upton, Shen, and Christopher for quality entry level basses.

Anyone played either an Ametto or Keith, Curtis & Clifton and have an opinion? Can't really find much info so far searching the internet.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy or just start off renting first. Definitely want to get a teacher, the Atlantic Strings shop gave me some numbers to some local teachers.
  2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

The best thing you can do is to start right here with the Beginner's Guide. Among other things you'll find in that guide is the recommendation to buy a bass from a real bass bass shop. The basses you mentioned look like house-branded Chinese and European imports of unknown (to me, anyway) quality.

You are wise to be planning on getting a teacher. Besides teaching you proper habits and technique, a good teacher will help you to prevent injury-- which is likely more probable than you think.

If you're not sure you want to take the plunge, renting is a good option. Its important, though, that you rent a quality instrument that is properly set up. Nothing will discourage you faster than an instrument that fights you all the way.
  3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

4. jumpshotjonny

jumpshotjonny

Thanks for the replies. I actually did do a forum search but couldn't find much. There was another thread asking about KCC basses but it didn't seem like anyone responded who had actually played them or heard of them. Just thought I'd give it a shot and see if anyone had any additional info since that last thread.

When I went to Atlantic Strings they didn't have anyone there that played upright bass so wasn't able to get much advice from the staff working there at the time. I think they're more of a violin shop than a bass shop.

I'm thinking my best bet is probably to start contacting some teachers get some lessons and they can probably point me in the right direction to find a good instrument.
  5. Duce-hands

Duce-hands

Greetings, I'm in the exact same position as you was(OP) in the exact same Central Florida area (I4 corridor) and was looking at the exact same Ametto bass. I'm curios what did you ultimately end up doing if anything at all?
  6. mtb777

mtb777 Supporting Member

Any recent info on the KCC basses? I'm looking at one next week and I believe it's a carved top, possibly a hybrid bass. Is anyone out there with some real experience with any of these basses? I'm also checking out an older '50's Kay as well.