1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Anyone have any info on the Ashdown NM2 - Nate Mendel Double Drive Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Timpala, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    This pedal looks very useful with it's two different distortion channels. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this pedal? I am also looking into buying the MXR Bass Overdrive.

2. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I assume you’ve already seen the youtube demo but just in case.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMe3e-fQeyo

I just picked one up a NM2 on the weekend. It’s my first real distortion pedal so I don’t have any first hand comparisons to other distortion units but I like it. If you like what you hear in the video you should be happy with it IMO. Between distortion 1, distortion 2, 1+2 and the 10db boost you have a lot of options and I have yet to come up with a setting I thought sucked.

Can’t help you on the MXR.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    Thanks. Yes, I have seen that video. There are only 2 videos that I can find. Were you able to buy the pedal online, or did you buy it from a store?

5. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I found it locally on craigslist actually.

6. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    I just ordered the pedal from Gearhound. :hyper: I can't wait to try it out. If I like it, I will make a YouTube video for sure.

7. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    Really interested in this pedal. I currently have the Ashdown Drive Plus on my board and used to have the Lomenzo Hyperdrive but flipped it as I couldn't dial it in...about a week after I sold it, Ashdown aired the video with Lomenzo explaining how he dials it and I instantly wanted it back!

Would three Ashdown drive pedals be excessive? :smug:

8. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    Damn! They just informed me that the pedal is on back order. This is a hard pedal to find online, or anywhere for that matter. I know Nate Mendel is not the first person people think of when they think "Awesome Bass Player", but the pedal seems like a good concept to me. And so I wait.....:rolleyes:

9. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    I finally got the pedal! I've been messing around with it for 4+ hours now, my ears are numb. I think it's going to be a keeper, but it is a bit tricky to dial in. I find myself dialing in a sound I like and then coming back to it later and changing it a bit. I did notice something though. I play through an Ampeg SVT Classic tube head. It does sound better when the tubes are nice and warmed up. Probably the case with any pedal. I think the real test will be when I bring it to band practice and see how it sits in the mix. I have played along with some songs on my stereo and I can hear how that little bit of grit makes a difference. It blends together well with the guitars without sounding choppy or clanky (for lack of a better description). Anyway, I am driving my girl nuts tonight, so I will have to report back later. :D

10. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    *UPDATE*
    I have now had 2 band practices while using the pedal. So far I really like it. The extra harmonics are really nice and the bass cuts through the mix much better than without the pedal. I actually turned up the drive knob after a few songs to get a bit more distortion. It sounds great playing bass/drums only parts of the songs too. I am also really liking the 2nd dirtier distortion for the more riffy songs we play. So far, so good.

11. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011

Consider posting any demos?

12. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    I could try. But, I think Nate's video does it best. The slight distortion is just enough but may not come through on video. When I am at practice, I sometimes turn off the pedal mid song just to hear the differences. With the distortion 1 switch it really makes a difference when cutting through the mix. I use the distortion 2 switch for our really riffy songs. It is more raunchy.
    Nate's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMe3e-fQeyo

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Really enjoyed the sounds he was getting. Just made the short list.

14. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    I think it adds more clarity without too much abrasive high end. Maybe similar to those EMG Geezer Butler pickups you have been talking about? It is nice to have 2 different settings in one pedal though.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Was going to ask about that. Is it full range or does it roll off highs like a tweeterless Ampeg cab?

16. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I have been looking at this pedal as well but grew uninterested when I realized that too many pedals are me-too product designed to preserve company's market share more than offer a true sonic evolution.

I suspect the pedal might be a tweaked tube screamer which is what Nate had been suing for years before this pedal (Fulltone bassdrive).

Likewise the Fender bass that bears his name is a nice instrument but it's nothing special. Just a P bass with quarter pounders and a Badass bridge. Lovely red color that being said!

17. Didn't they copy the neck of his '71. I thought I read about how his particular bass was a bit unique. Radius at the nut was different or something like that.

18. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Yes that too. It might be a more narrow neck than standard.

19. Yeah. Not really worth all that extra coin.

20. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    To me, the high end kind of sizzles. You can dial it in to have a lot or just a little. But then again, I was in a surf band with loud shrieking reverb soaked guitars that have destroyed my ability to hear some high frequencies. I had fun though.