Anyone have experience with Dave's Guitar Shop in Wisconsin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metal Jockey, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Metal Jockey

Metal Jockey

Does anyone have any experience with this retailer? They're not local to me and I'm possibly interested in purchasing from them online. They are an authorized dealer for many major brands and seem to have a decent inventory.

Mods, please move this thread if it's not in the correct forum section. Thanks.

2. BoomBoomOGTL

BoomBoomOGTL Supporting Member

Dave's has been around a long, long time. They specialize in vintage and higher end gear. Dave Rogers (owner) has got a great reputation.

I bought a new LP from them back in '93 and it was a good experience.

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Great shop with great people.

It is always one of my destination places when I want to go on a nice bike ride down the river road

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

Another +1 for Dave's. The biggest inventory I've ever seen at a brick and mortar store, knowledgeable and helpful sales staff, and they have been in business a long time. If you ever get a chance to visit in person, by all means do it. The 2nd floor is filled with collector guitars and amps - pretty much one of everything ever made and some really cool, rare and downright bizarre gear.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Metal Jockey

Metal Jockey

7. IzzyHag

IzzyHag

They are the greatest people to deal with. They come down off the M.A.P. by 12-20% if you just ask them. As a lefty I marvel at their inventory as it's not just your standard garbage most places have for us. After the first time I went there I told my buddy that now I know how fishing/hunting nuts feel like after they've been to Cabela's. I could spend a week there.

8. mournblade

mournblade

I bought my explorer from them, traded in my 84 on a 2012 they had. Super easy to work with, gave a fair trade in price, had a almos new 2012 for under a grand. Would not hesitate to do business with them again.

9. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

10. Jackster007

Jackster007

awesome place and yes it is in LaCrosse, WI. great place and well worth the trip!

11. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sales : String Swing Mfg.
    Glad you like the bass it was a pleasure dealing with you

Bryan

12. IotaNet

IotaNet

13. mournblade

mournblade

Hey Bryan, happy holidays to you all! I would be more gushy, but I am a Bears fan, and well, you are in the land of the cheese heads....

14. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkeys show up Supporting Member

Media:
    Great store!
    I've bought axes there!
    Go DAVE!
    Dave

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I also highly recomend Dave's Guitars. I've bought 2 Rickenbackers from them, one at a guitar show here in Texas, and another one online, and by phone. Both were perfect, and the guitar show price was unbelievably low, (an '05 620/12 mapleglo for $1000). The last one was my beloved 4004Cii. Awesome shop, awesome people.

16. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

Dave's is a great place to purchase basses. I love to visit just to see "the collection" upstairs.

17. superflybass

Disclosures:
    Yah. We have a few cheesehead a in Wisconsin. We are on the boarder of Wisconsin and Minnesota. So there is a big Vikings / packers split

18. superflybass

Disclosures:
    Next time you are in the shop please introduce yourself to me.

19. Metal Jockey

Metal Jockey

Just as a follow-up to my original inquiry about Dave's Guitar Shop -

After all the positive feedback on both this forum and over on the RRF forum, I went ahead and ordered a new Rickenbacker 4003 in Jet Glo and my transaction with Dave's was fantastic. As some of you already know, Bryan Butler is their bass guy and I must have spent a good 45 minutes on the phone with him before I placed my order. During our discussion, Bryan physically inspected the guitar and described the different parts to me in detail to ensure that this was a good one. He went over the neck, nut, bridge, pickups, string action and the finish. He was very patient in answering all my questions and even asked some questions of me.

When the bass arrived, I was extremely pleased with it and have been enjoying it since. I paid slightly more than some of the other recommended online retailers, but Dave's was the only one that had a Jet Glo in stock, so I was happy to pay the extra money to get it and it was still a great deal. Other than this transaction, I have no affiliation with Dave's Guitar Shop, but I can wholeheartedly recommend them as a great retailer for anyone in the market for a Rickenbacker bass or any other instrument.

Thank you Bryan! :bassist: