Anyone have strings for Cubans? (Toronto)

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Milothicus, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Milothicus

Milothicus

I'm heading to Cuba on friday, and i want to bring some musical supplies to help out the locals.

i haven't done this before, but my understanding is that they'll appreciate any strings, old or new. as long as they can be attached to an instrument, they're likely to be used.

i think i have some guitar strings, and probably a set or two of bass guitar strings i can bring, but i figure if anyone else in the toronto area wants to donate some double bass strings, they'd be even more appreciated.

let me know here or through PM and hopefully i can meet up with some people to hand them off.

i work i mississauga, and live in burlington, but i'm willing to meet up depending on timing and stuff.

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Nice idea Milo! I have a friend who took a pile of strings to Cuba with her last year and they were really thrilled to get them.

Good luck! ;)

3. marcox

marcox

4. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Great idea. I've done this before with electric bass strings and have a whole stack here waiting to be donated. Too bad you're in Toronto and leaving Friday!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Milothicus

Milothicus

yeah, if i go again, i'll be requesting the supplies earlier for sure.

i just didn't think of it early enough.

keep collecting!

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

I would have loved to have helped out mis hermanos. Next trip, give us a little more notice or PM me if you think about it. I'm sure I could find something for the cause.

8. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

likewise, please post earlier because I have 4-5 sets of used strings in good shape I'd be happy to mail to you before your next trip down.

9. zimoo

zimoo

Hi Miloticus

I am in Montreal and has 5 set of used double bass string.
    I want donate for our musical friends.
    You live in burlington VT ? if so , Can you pass into Montreal ?

Zimoo

10. Milothicus

Milothicus

well, the trip went fairly well. Unfortunately my wife and i had 3 deaths in our families while we were there, which made it difficult to enjoy at times.

I was hoping to be able to go into Havana for an evening, but that didn't work out. i spoke to the musicians in the resort and passed on what i had brought, which included 2 new sets of bass guitar strings (with a few extras), a set of archtop guitar strings (missing the high E, and a set of upright bass strings that marcox sent me.

One guitar player in the band was very thankful for the guitar strings, as he only had 3 on his guitar, and at least one pair were doubled, so he was playing it more a mandolin. my strings were way too heavy for his guitar that was probably built for nylons, but those guys will figure out how to use them.

the bass player is actually a bass teacher, both upright and slab, so he was very thankful for all the bass strings.

after i gave them the strings, they insisted i take the bass to play a song. I'm definitely a slab player who occasionally plays the upright, so the performance was nothing to write home about, but it was nice to play with them for a bit. a short version of All Blues, and Hotel California.

thanks again for the support, and if i go back (which i likely will), i'll ask for the donations sooner. i also found out that a few canadian airlines will allow an extra carry-on size bag to anyone bringing supplies into Cuba. that allows for a lot more supplies. next time i'll bring more nylon guitar strings, and any upright bass strings people can donate (i don't have extras of my own).

11. marcox

marcox

Sorry to hear about your losses. It's doubly tough when events like that happen when you're away from home and friends.

Glad to hear that the strings will find a home. I've since discovered another batch of strings to donate, so please let us know the next time you head to Cuba. And I hope you get to Havana next time -- it's an amazing place.