1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone having trouble driving a 7Pro into the red with a J Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jim C, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I have been playing either a 60' or early 70's P.
    No problem lighting the light and the tone is wonderful.

I recently went back to my stock 72 Jazz.
    This Jazz bass will not light the clip light on either the 7Pro or SVP-CL with a firm finger style technique.

Obviously weak pups and I've had the exact same thing happen with older Lace Sensors.
    I will see if the tone changes with one of those reasonably transparent MXR boosters.

Anybody else have this issue and did a booster make much of a tonal change?

Just seems odd having the input volume dimed and still not clip without aggressive right hand technique.
  2. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist and MI Professional... see profile
    Hmmmm... couple of questions, some which may seem silly but want to rule out the easy culprits;

- Is the input pad disengaged?

- What, if at all, is the compressor set at? You'll want to turn this all the way off, since the compressor is actually ahead of the input gain stage.

- How is the pickup height on your J-Bass set? This can make a HUGE difference on any bass, but most especially so on older and passive instruments
  3. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I'll double check the compressor but I think it is at 9:00

The other items have been checked
  4. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Great call PM
    The limiter at 9:00 was enough to keep the red light from flashing under normal playing
    Turning it to off finally allows me to make the light blink with the input volume wide open.

It is odd that the limiter is pre EQ let alone pre input stage; I get the intent but would much prefer it post EQ.
    Thanks