1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone here from New Zealand?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan Horboychuk, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Dan Horboychuk

Dan Horboychuk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amps and MTD Basses
    Looking to speak with anyone from New Zealand who wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me. Considering possibly relocating and would like to speak with someone about a few questions I have.
    Thanks
  2. Simo98

Simo98

Bah, Australia is better ;)

I'm fairly sure there are a few Kiwi's hanging around TBOT though, hopefully they'll chime in. I've not actually been to NZ myself, so I can't really help you much, but as an Australian I'm obliged to make some sort of remark about us being the better country down under :p :ninja:
  3. elgecko

elgecko

I believe downunderwonder is from those parts.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

whadayawanna know?
  5. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Born n bred. Also here to help out with any questions.
  6. Dan Horboychuk

Disclosures:
    Currently living in NY and thinking of relocating the family there, what is the economy like there are things moving or stagnant? How are the schools? Is it hard getting gear? Whats the deal with driving lol what side of the car do you steer from and what side of the road do you drive on? And what is the music scene like, I know some questions are a bit vague I'm just starting to look into this possibility and appreciate any and all help.
  7. tbrannon

tbrannon

I'm not a Kiwi- but lived and worked there from 2001-2007 and am a permanent resident and had two kids born there who are now dual citizens. I moved back to the US because of some health problems in my family here, but we plan to return sometime soon for good.

I'll let others who are there currently speak about the economy, but it's probably much like it is anywhere else these days. The schools and educational system are different than what you're used to, but are outstanding for the most part. A lot depends on where you settle and what schools you go to, but that's the same here in the States.

Driving isn't much of an issue- you do drive on the left hand side and the steering wheel is opposite to what you're used to, but you get used to it in a few days.

Where are you thinking of moving to and what profession are you in? Immigration is serious business there and the NZIS and NZQA paperwork for a work visa, etc, is no joke.

Music wise- gear is EXPENSIVE compared to what you're used to and selection is more limited. People love music there as much as anywhere, so the music scene will be just like anywhere else, depending on what you're used to, though Wellington is king of Arts and music, IMO.
  8. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Are you planning on moving to a city centre, Dan? Have you looked at options of particular areas?

+1 - Wellington is a great city, especially for the music scene.
  9. Dan Horboychuk

Disclosures:
    I have not decided on a particular area as I mentioned this is in the beginning stages, I am not much of a city guy I prefer a little space and also enjoy racing motocross so outside the city limits is more my thing. Any recommendations on areas? As far as work I am currently an operations manager overseeing day to day operations at 2 different companies 1 is a retail store and one is a municipal maintenance company. I am currently considering a career change and have been checking the "long list" for needed occupations in New Zealand to see what may be of interest.
  10. Dan Horboychuk

Disclosures:
    As far as the music scene it would be nice to be close to a thriving scene but not a deal breaker. I played professionally for years touring and recording now it's just for fun so I don't need to be in the thick of things.
  11. tbrannon

tbrannon

Plenty of rural to choose from in NZ. I lived in the Waikato (North/Central area of the North Island) and there is lots of open space. I lived on a 10 acre lifestyle block about halfway between Hamilton and Raglan.

Don't want to put a damper on your plans, but typically you need to have a minimum number of years of experience in one of the 'occupations' listed as needed by NZIS. Then you have to submit proof of certificates, training and experience to NZQA in order to get approval to get a work visa there- even then, you have to have a written job offer in that field from a NZ company in order to apply for the work visa once you've proven your credentials/experience.

For instance- I am a teacher- I had to prove my credentials (in science, which is why it was acceptable), then I flew to NZ and interviewed, got a job offer from a school, THEN flew home and submitted the job offer to NZIS to actually get the work visa and temporary residency permit. Things may have changed since I was there, but when I was applying, you were not allowed to head to NZ on a visitors permit, find a job and then apply for a work visa while living IN country.
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It's definitely possible to move here if you have a lot of money or a skillset in demand. You'll have to check with Immigration on that. An Irish friend conned his way in as a performer of Irish music, amazing all of us, but shows it's not too difficult.

You need to be looking for quality of life over material wealth. We take more holidays and work less hours here than your average American. Our cars are a lot older, our houses not as big or flashy as yours.

Health care is pretty good but we pay a lot of tax. The wealthy go on private insurance schemes so don't suffer waitlists for heart surgery etc.

Education is very good, most schools have "voluntary" nominal fees, if you don't pay your kids will miss out on some activities and be somewhat outcast socially.

Teritiary education has significant fees and a student loan scheme but still heavily subsidised from taxation.

If you are injured you are covered by the govt insurance scheme, levied on employers and self employed by the Accident Compensation Corporation, ACC, who are currently desperately trying to reduce their liabilities when in fact in profit, causing major distress to many basket cases of head injuries, bad surgeries and major accidents where a good recovery hasn't been possible.

Food is expensive but pretty good quality. Water is good. Roads are passable to good. Some of the best motorcycling in the world. Wine is good and cheap. Beer is a mixed bag and taxes are going up on it. Music gear is very expensive.

The economy is down but our banks are pretty stable and not apparently in any danger of collapse from bubble lending.

Guns are hard to get unless you're stealing them from upstanding citizens. Police are usually unarmed unless they are expecting trouble from armed offenders and then it's national news. Very occasionally an unsuspecting cop gets shot by a crim, again making the news. Hell, even crims shooting other crims makes the news.
  13. Dan Horboychuk

Disclosures:
    I'm still learning the rules on how to enter the country the right way but as I mentioned its in the early stages, so if I need to get some time at a career under my belt before I can make a move that is fine. This is a long term goal for me not looking to leave this week lol.
  14. Dan Horboychuk

Disclosures:
    Downunderwonder you hit the nail right on the head.... I'm looking for quality of life now. Looking to get away from the material lifestyle. And really want to raise my kids that way. I have checked the immigration list of In demand careers and I am contemplating a career change that will help with the transition. As far as houses and cars I would prefer to get away from the oversized houses and brand new cars game.. Although I did want to find out about bringing a vehicle over. from what I can see I should be ok importing a left hand drive car as long as it is a classic. I really appreciate every ones input.
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Check the price of petrol before you import a classic! Our roads are frequently hilly too.

I believe you must own the vehicle for some period but not necessarily a classic. Since you are exempt duty and GST on personal effects it can be a small money spinner to import for selling it on later.

You would do well to make a Genz Benz your next bass amp as they all run on 240V by flicking a switch and changing the fuse.
  16. bigboy_78

bigboy_78 Supporting Member

Isn't NZ the most easterly point of Australia.
  17. tbrannon

tbrannon

The rule for cars used to be it had to be earlier than a '78 model, otherwise it has to be converted to a right hand drive. I checked when I moved because I had an '80 Jeep Scrambler that I would have liked to have kept, but the cost of a container to get it down there + conversion made it too costly.
  18. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Nah, Australia is the West Island of New Zealand
  19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Damn cheeky West Islanders are always trying to lay claim to us. Any band that makes it big here goes over there to further their sales and winds up being an "Australian" band.
  20. Jordan S.

Jordan S. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    As a fellow Aussie I thank you for your continuation of this time honoured tradition.