Anyone here into records!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by KingNikko5, Dec 22, 2012.

1. KingNikko5

KingNikko5

Hey everyone just thought I would see if anyone here was into vinyl. I have around 600. I definitely love to listen to vinyl. It has that "raw" feeling of music that sometimes seems to be lost though other formats

Anyone??
  2. Spatial

Spatial

Yes, I was a child of the 90's and got into vinyl because of my dad and my friends. I guess I'm one of those kids who didn't really grow up with it the way a lot of older folks did, but me and most of my friends all started getting records when we were around 14 or 15(I have quite an extensive collection myself, though not quite up to 600 yet :) ). Plus there was a venue in our town that also doubled as a record shop(sadly it closed a few years ago). I agree with you, I prefer it over any other format. Mp3's are great for hearing new bands but I much prefer to sit down in my room and actually make an experience of listening to an album.

"I definitely love to listen to vinyl. It has that "raw" feeling of music that sometimes seems to be lost though other formats"

Agreed, I prefer vinyl over any other format.
  3. KingNikko5

KingNikko5

Yea myself and a couple buddies are into records. I find a lot of older folk around here tryin to get rid of them. I might have spent a total of $70 to get 90% of my records. Aside from the ones I've bought full price.

It's funny because whenever I've gotten records people look at me a little weird and ask me...

"Aren't you too young for records??"

"Don't you have an iPod or something??"

I'm 23 so I do understand them to a point lol. But I've acquired most of them for next to nothing.

Aside from pawn and other second hand shops, there isn't much for vinyl stores around me. Come to think of it... I've yet to actually find a store around here that is primarily dedicated to records. Oh well :(
  4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Vinyl kicks a$$! It feels good to hold the big square album cover in your hands, you can actually read the lyric sheets, & when I was younger (in the 80's) it was often pretty common to include a big foldout poster. Colored vinyl looks really cool too ~ not to mention swirly or splatter wax, etc.

I have close to 1,000 LPs at home right now, + dozens of 7"ers. Less than 50 of those I've actually bought new. Most of mine I find at thrift stores for $1-2 each, but I've acquired a few hundred from people literally just giving away their collections because they were sick of moving them (which I can also relate to!) I've amassed a small collection of a hundred or so albums at least two times before, but sold or traded them like an idiot ... never again!

The only drawback to records is they're not good for the car or while walking or working. As long as I'm home though, and not seeking out new tunes on YouTube or something, vinyl is mostly what I'm listening to :cool:
  5. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I sold my vinyl collection, a Kenwood KD-650 turntable and a pair of high end audio technica cartridges that were collecting dust a couple years ago. The surprise gems in that ebay sale were the cartridges and a handful of quad 8 tracks.

They were all collecting dust in the basement storage area. There are folks into that stuff. I was able to clear enough to buy a really nice Stingray.

I was always an audio geek and still have some high end gear but it gets fed by my ipod which goes everywhere with me. Its just so dang convenient.

When I'm too old and frail to play bass (may not be far off) I may regret selling but I doubt it.
  6. Spatial

Spatial

Hahaha I get this a bit as well. Or it's "You know there are mp3s and stuff you can listen to right." As if I've been living under a rock my entire life?!:eyebrow: Usually though once I explain why I love vinyl, they actually seem interested and realize I'm not a technophobe or an airhead. :)

1+, I love it when bands spend the extra cash to make the record that much more special
  7. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I have an okay collection...trying to grow my number of jazz records though. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

The last batch I bought was Friday Night in San Francisco, Musicmagic by Return to Forever, Django Reinhardt and American Friends, and a collection of jazz drummers. Cost $28 which is more than I'd usually spend...the shop I usually goes to charges $1 a record but it's harder to find good stuff. I want to pick up the Allman Brothers Live at the Filmore next.

Some of the stuff I have on vinyl can't be found on CD, plus I don't want to repurchase music, so there will be a USB record player in the works eventually.
  8. klyph

klyph Gold Supporting Member

I went to a used record store every week when I was a teenager, in the eighties. Sometimes I would buy an armload of 50 cent discs, sometimes only one pricier item. It was the cheapest way to buy music. I still listen to vinyl just about every day. I have about 1000-1300 titles in all genres, down from about 3-4000 ten years ago. For a while, when I was 13 and 14, I only had one working speaker, so I went through a phase of only buying Mono releases. This paid off years later when I decided to sell of some of my collection. The mono copies of Kinks, Beatles, Faces, Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, etc. were wirth more than the stereo versions. I have bought at record shops, yard sales, estate sales, junk shops, etc., even ebay. Sold alot on ebay, too. No camera, but some titles I've been listening to this week:

Time Out- The Dave Brubeck Quartet
    Motivo pra Dancar ("Reason to Dance")- Sivuca e seu conjunto
    The Best of Bostic- Earl Bostic
    New Orleans Home of the Blues Volume 2 (various artists, Minit Records)
    Pretzel Logic- Steely Dan
    Mendelssohn: Songs Without Words- Guiomar Novaes, Piano
    Reggae Greats- Sly and Robbie

I still buy occasionally, but most of my recorded music dollars these days go to Mosaic box sets, usually CDs. I listen to alot of music online now, too. Funny to think that the Brubeck, Steely Dan, and Sly and Robbie discs are all copies I have owned for 25 years. They still sound plenty crisp.
  9. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

I still have all my records, having grown up in the 60s. Nothing sounds as good. I have all my cassettes that get played in my car, or won't see the light of day. Loads of CDs, of course. iPod used for work only. No desire to walk around with ear buds in. Never did have 8 tracks, though, proud to say.
    I saw at that Friday Night in San Francisco concert with DiMeola, McLaughlin and De Lucia. I also saw them the next time they came through town, with Steve Morse joining them for a few songs in the beginning of the show.
  10. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

My brother and I have a joint collection of around 700 albums. Every couple of months we have a "Vinyl Night" party, and younger friends or relatives are fascinated. They spend hours looking at covers and reading the liner notes. Most of them are also surprised at how good vinyl sounds.
  11. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

A couple of years ago I decided to stop buying cd's and only buy vinyl and digital copies. 80% of new music I want is released on vinyl now, and the other 20% I just buy on iTunes. Vinyl really is more fun, but the gear is a lot more expensive.
  12. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

I still have a couple of thousand LPs...just gave away maybe 1/4 of them to a old friend who sells used records as I try to "downsize" for my golden years ;) Also a huge box full of 45s. Any title that I've replaced with a CD went out the door. I plan to cull the herd some more over the next year or so.

I'm still using a turntable I bought in the 1970s plus a cartridge I got in the 80s (new styli are still available). I still play what I own but with two exceptions (rare LPs that never were reissued on CD) I haven't bought any new vinyl for 20 years.

Back in the 70s I read an article about the dropping quality of pressings due to rising oil prices. One record exec said you could have a perfect pressing but "noone is willing to pay $15 for an LP" (at the time list price was $6.98).

Pretty funny that turntables and vinyl cost so much today. When I go into record stores and see new pressings of classic rock titles selling for $25 when the CD is selling for $10 I have to laugh :cool:

I'm nostalgic about vinyl but I much prefer digital...better frequency response (esp. the low end), no more hiss, groove noise, wow and flutter, off-center pressings, etc. :hyper:

What I want to hear is the music, the format isn't important at all to me.
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have about 1,000 albums. I kept everything I had purchased when I was growing up and about 15 years ago, I bought a house and found several boxes of old records ranging from the 1940s to the 1970s. I also have a couple of hundred cassettes, over 1,000 cds, an Ipod and a Dell Digital Jukebox.
  14. Richland123

Richland123

I still have about 6,000 vinyl records including many rare items, odd records, and albums that will never be released in digital formats.

I have some for sell too.
  15. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Same here. I went back to vinyl when I tried to introduce my oldest son to Led Zeppelin II. I played him a CD version, but it just wasn't the same experience as laying on the vinyl.
  16. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael

Vinyl has a sound. I still have my record collection of over 1000 disks. But honestly, most music I listen to these days is on line. : /
  17. Arthur Strand

Arthur Strand

Hi! vinyl guys! I have my private collection of vinyl plus a stockpile and last year I was mailing vinyl to a guy in the Film industry in Hollywood. Vinyl is alive and kicking. Turntables are now being manufactured with U.S.B. ports to link to computers. The Rolling Stones are marketing a 50th Anniversary L.P. Other modern artists are releasing 45 r.p.m. singles but not as prolifically as in the 60s. It is a good thing that some old tech is adhered to because those who upgrade may well come running to us who hang on to old tech!!! My old guitarist from 1st band days needed a reel-to-reel tape machine and I had an Akai that did the job, assessing tapes from the 70s. A CD was released last year because of it. My Music Museum has served a purpose for someone else at least! Vinyl could last another 30 years at least and CDs could be around for another 70.
  18. ImaStupidBaby

ImaStupidBaby Supporting Member

Vinyl does have a sound. You can't over compress records or the needle will pop out of the groove, so you have to go easier on the compression and keep the dynamics. it's dangerous to brickwall a record, whereas it's pretty much SOP to brickwall a CD
  19. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I have a nice collection. Not a whole lot, about 150, but some real gems. A whole lotta jazz, blues, rock n roll, Motown + Stax etc. I prefer the sound and the experience by far. I've bought 2 cds these past 2 years and that's only because I've been to some cd release gigs. Records, however, I buy semi-regularly or at least borrow some of my friends'.
  20. KingNikko5

KingNikko5

There's just something about vinyl that makes the music feel more vibrant and full. I understand the better quality aspect of digital and other like formats. But at the end of the day, the fuzz, the hiss, and the static don't bother me for one second. Now take that with a grain of salt because there's a clear difference between vinyl that is just damaged to the point of it being unbearable lol.

I'm a member on two vinyl websites. One called "Vinyl Collective" which is a forum board for people to buy, sell, or trade vinyl. The other is a website called "Dead Format". Dead format is a board like Vinyl Collective but seems to get used more for a list of people vinyl. It has a great spreadsheet type list you can use to list your vinyl.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/
    http://deadformat.net/tradelist/kingnikko5

I would encourage anyone to become part of the boards if you are into vinyl. Great people, most of the time, and people always lookin to buy, sell and trade like myself.