Anyone here on your feet all day at work?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Mar 6, 2014.

1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

I am on my feet alot at work on a hard surface. Some of the machines I run do have floor mats in front of them but the whole work area is not matted. I am looking for a shoe that is good for being on your feet all day at work. I have tried inserts but those really dont help me. Thanks.

2. AuBassMan

AuBassMan

I work in a kitchen on a hard floor 9 plus hours a day. Im most comfortable in shoes that have no or very little arch support.
    It seems to me that the makers of inserts don't take into account what kind of support your shoe already has in it. But having said that...have you tried the Dr. Sholes machine in Wal-Mart or CVS that you stand on and it analyzes then recommends the insert for your foot type? Maybe get shoes with no support and use those inserts?

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I spent 15 years working in kitchens. Birkenstock chef's clogs were it for me. They're a bit expensive, but well worth it in terms of aligning your body properly from the feet up. They offer both a cork and synthetic insole, I chose synthetic as the material doesn't absorb bacteria. They also last forever, the insoles are easily swapped out and it's like having a brand new pair.

4. Happynoj

Happynoj

Chefs clogs for sure. I used to work in kitchens and for a while I wore shoes with no arch support but they killed my feet and I reached the point where I could barely stand, let alone walk. I had to switch to shoes with proper arch support and they improved this massively, to the point where I was working 80-90 hour weeks with no foot trouble.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basspedaler

basspedaler Supporting Member

+1 for birks! also, Keens shoes. both have wide toeboxes, a big help. very firm footbeds too, which folks misunderstand, thinking a squishy cushioned shoe is more comfy. wrong! those are for running and jumping. I have been a birkenstock guy since '83 and swear by them..

7. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Thanks very much for the help I will look into these Birkenstock clogs. I did try the Dr Schoals machine but when I saw that the inserts are 45 bucks I would rather pay the extra and get a whole comfortable shoe, plus I like the idea that they are dish washer safe. One more question if they are dishwasher safe what is the breathability like. Would you feet not sweat like crazy? Just curious.

8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

If you need safety boots, you can't beat Redwings, but they are expensive.

lowsound

9. Mike M.

Mike M.

Best (and most comfortable for me) pair of work boots I ever bought were Caterpillar. That was about 6 years ago and I think I paid around $65.00 for them if I remember right.

10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
  11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

In my previous lab I was on foot all day, not so much in my current one.

I've generally worn DMs, DM type boots or trainers. I've got custom orthotics, moulded at a hospital, have used them for years (used to get shinsplints all the time).

12. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

been doing the warehouse thing for three years now. new balance running shows. hands down the best I've tried.

13. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

+1

NB574s are my go to trainers.

14. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

I'm on my feet all day at work. Merrell makes awesome shoes. They're expensive but if you're on your feet 40+ hours per week its worth it to get some nice footwear.

15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Always buy nice footware and a nice bed, much of your life will be spent in one or the other!

16. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I work on concrete floors all day too.
    The best I have found is Thorogood postal workers shoes.
    They are not the most stylish but they are designed for walking on concrete all day.

17. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

those are the ones I bought too. I average about 7 miles of walking on concrete per day, they lasted me 6 months plus.

18. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I think Wesco make the best boots hands down. I have no cartilage in my ankle but I can still walk quite a ways with these boots on.

[​IMG]

Can't get these on anymore because I can't bend by ankle far enough. Sure wish I could.
    [​IMG]

http://www.wescoboots.com/wesco/home.asp

19. paste

paste Banned

^ Oh lawdy, I think my ankles just had an aneurism looking at those. :eek: Boots might be nice for walking around but they look uncomfortable as heck if your standing around 40 + hours in those things.

Another thing I noticed that helps, on top of good shoes is stretching. Stretch as much as you can. Stretch each time you go the bathroom. Stretch during your break.

20. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

You may be right. I have never worn them just standing around. They are good for riding motorcylces, climbing poles and kicking you drummer when he is playint too loud. The pair I have is 8 years old and still going strong after replacing the heels on them several times.
    I hope your ankles get better soon. ;)

21. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

Best thing to do is buy two pairs of comfortable but DIFFERENT shoes and then switch pairs on your lunch break. The different shape of the soles of each shoe will change the pressure points on your feet, reducing fatigue.