1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone here own a Kala Ubass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I have a 6 string bass that I absolutely love, but it can't really cop the woody thump that an upright can put out. I live in a second floor apartment with one bedroom and one living room, so an upright isn't really feasible right now,so I was looking at one of these as a more portable (and cheaper) substitute.

The videos I've seen on YouTube look pretty awesome and sound good as well, but I was hoping to hear from some owners of the instrument. Is it as good as it seems? Does the fretless cop an upright tone, or at least a rich woody tone that's an acceptable substitute?
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

3. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

I was just messing around with my teacher's newly acquired UBass today and was thoroughly impressed.
    The model is a Hutch Hutchinson 4 string. When plugged into a GK MB-500, it has great presence and low end thump. Plenty loud, too. Was not hard to play despite the small frets. IMHO, it's a perfect bass for an acoustic ensemble. The proprietary strings are polyurethane and the D-string was about as thick as my low E (1.05). I'd love to hear one thru a Phil Jones amp. I'll bet it sounds like an upright.
  4. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

I love my U-bass! I have a fretless mahogany, which is probably the most popular. It can cop a pretty good upright tone, but like was said earlier by 3234718, it will not sound exactly like an upright. Only an upright can do that. However the sound of the u-bass is unique and to me and just about everyone I know that has heard it, its very rich and deep and incredible! As was mentioned earlier I would recommend checking out the Goldtone Microbass. Same basic sound with slightly longer scale and a little easier on the wallet also.
  5. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Yup! Brand new California 5 solid body 5! Just sold a spruce top acoustic 4.
  6. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Read some of the megathread. Tons of great info and opinions.
    Then also read the Gold Tone MicroBass thread.

We'll see you in about 6 months when you are done. :)
    Seriously, lots of great info about incredibly fun and awesome sounding basses.
  7. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

I have a fretless mahogany U-Bass and love the sound. The tone is a lot like an upright bass strung with gut strings.

That said, I'll probably get a fretless Gold Tone MicroBass, as well. They are made of laminated wood and will probably fare better at my work where climate conditions are less than ideal.

I'm looking forward to trying out the clear, "white" tapewound strings that La Bella is developing for both basses. I have them on my 30" scale fretless and I really like their super-smooth feel and nice, bright tone.