1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone here play Pavel basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I found out that I live less than half an hour from Pavel de la Fuente, a luthier most famous for his basses. I'm thinking about going to check it out, but I wanted to know if anyone here owned one or had some experience with one.

On a related note, is it bad manners to go try out an instrument built by a local luthier if you have no intention of buying? I mean, it would be nice to get a completely custom bass, but I don't anticipate having three or four grand to put towards a bass any time soon.

2. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Pavel is a great guy who builds great basses. I've had 4 and am contemplating another. I'm close to his shop as well, I try not to visit too often because he has a huge backlog that he's working through and every time I do show up, it's never less than an hour. It can get kind of addicting. I was actually there yesterday with a repair issue on a bass from a different manufacturer. Would definitely recommend his work.