1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone Install G&L Pickups in a Non G&L Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JES, Feb 10, 2013.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Hi All,

Like the subject says. Specifically, the G&L Magnetic Field pickups on the L-2000. I've always heard they contribute mightily to the instrument's sound. If that's the case, I wonder if they would make a non-G&L bass sound more or less like a G&L bass? I've got an old "project" bass I'm considering modding.

2. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps
  3. felixxx

felixxx

I have only heard of people installing split MDF pickup into P basses, and apparently worked really well. I never heard of L2000 pickups in other basses, but that doesn't mean nobody did it.

4. JES

JES Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. I should say I have a Tribute l-2000 that sounds amazing, but I find it a bit heavy and prefer a J-neck profile to a P-neck profile.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I've thought about putting an MFD in my Stingray on more than one occasion.

7. themarshall

themarshall

I've seen it; someone had an mfd in the bridge on a P. I was just considering putting one in the P position in a squire P5 yesterday. As to whether it will sound like a G&L, the L-series have passive (even with the pre disengaged) bass and high controls that I assume affect the inherent sound, but I don't know how much. Try bassesbyleo. There's info galore on G&L electronics.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Well, you could save for a USA L-2000, and order it with the #8 neck, as many folks (and some dealers) do. Or watch for one used on TB. Ash-bodied samples are typically lighter IMLE. G&L's J-type necks are amazing. For the long haul, this could be worth it.

I have seen a pics of a Fender Bronco (or possibly Precision) with an MFD humbucker, making a Fender L-1000.

9. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold

10. ojo

ojo

You should hit up SanfordandSonny, that dude has put all sorts of G&L pickups into all sorts of bodies.

11. JES

JES Supporting Member

..and when you soloed that pickup how did it sound compared with a G&L L2500?

@NedMundo: I could indeed buy a USA l2000 right now (and sell my Tribute to finance it). But I am concerned about the weight. More to the point, I am also interested in potentially thinning the herd, so as to maybe get a 5-string or a guita@r something else (I have 5 basses as it is--don't want more). I have an old Ibanez Roadstar II that feels good in my hands and has a lot of sentimental value as my first bass. It needs some fretwork and tuning up but if it would sound "G&Lish" enough I might go for it.

12. LongHairFreak

Well, I've messed w/a G&L only once and I couldn't say for certain where I placed that PU is where G&L placed theirs on the L2500, but at the time, from what I could recall, there was little/no difference. Only my oppinion of course and as I stated, mine is completely passive, but if you want the G&L sound, I'd go for it.

13. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

It seems your pics in that thread no longer work.

...And I'd REALLY like to see them! :bawl:

14. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

This is something I've long thought about doing - actually using the 3-way circuit from an L-1000 along with the MFD in P position on a nice lightweight P body. I will never do it, but I can only assume it would sound like my 1981 L-1000 anchor (as much and any bass sounds like any other bass)

15. LongHairFreak

Welllll... That's no good. Let me see if I can find them elsewhere.