1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone Install G&L Pickups in a Non G&L Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JES, Feb 10, 2013.

1. JES

JES

Hi All,

Like the subject says. Specifically, the G&L Magnetic Field pickups on the L-2000. I've always heard they contribute mightily to the instrument's sound. If that's the case, I wonder if they would make a non-G&L bass sound more or less like a G&L bass? I've got an old "project" bass I'm considering modding.
  2. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    subscribed.....
  3. felixxx

felixxx

I have only heard of people installing split MDF pickup into P basses, and apparently worked really well. I never heard of L2000 pickups in other basses, but that doesn't mean nobody did it.
  4. JES

JES

Thanks for the replies. I should say I have a Tribute l-2000 that sounds amazing, but I find it a bit heavy and prefer a J-neck profile to a P-neck profile.
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I've thought about putting an MFD in my Stingray on more than one occasion.
  6. themarshall

themarshall

I've seen it; someone had an mfd in the bridge on a P. I was just considering putting one in the P position in a squire P5 yesterday. As to whether it will sound like a G&L, the L-series have passive (even with the pre disengaged) bass and high controls that I assume affect the inherent sound, but I don't know how much. Try bassesbyleo. There's info galore on G&L electronics.
  7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Well, you could save for a USA L-2000, and order it with the #8 neck, as many folks (and some dealers) do. Or watch for one used on TB. Ash-bodied samples are typically lighter IMLE. G&L's J-type necks are amazing. For the long haul, this could be worth it.

I have seen a pics of a Fender Bronco (or possibly Precision) with an MFD humbucker, making a Fender L-1000.
  8. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold Gold Supporting Member

9. ojo

ojo Supporting Member

You should hit up SanfordandSonny, that dude has put all sorts of G&L pickups into all sorts of bodies.
  10. JES

JES

..and when you soloed that pickup how did it sound compared with a G&L L2500?

@NedMundo: I could indeed buy a USA l2000 right now (and sell my Tribute to finance it). But I am concerned about the weight. More to the point, I am also interested in potentially thinning the herd, so as to maybe get a 5-string or a guita@r something else (I have 5 basses as it is--don't want more). I have an old Ibanez Roadstar II that feels good in my hands and has a lot of sentimental value as my first bass. It needs some fretwork and tuning up but if it would sound "G&Lish" enough I might go for it.
  11. LongHairFreak

Well, I've messed w/a G&L only once and I couldn't say for certain where I placed that PU is where G&L placed theirs on the L2500, but at the time, from what I could recall, there was little/no difference. Only my oppinion of course and as I stated, mine is completely passive, but if you want the G&L sound, I'd go for it.

12. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

It seems your pics in that thread no longer work.

...And I'd REALLY like to see them! :bawl:
  13. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

This is something I've long thought about doing - actually using the 3-way circuit from an L-1000 along with the MFD in P position on a nice lightweight P body. I will never do it, but I can only assume it would sound like my 1981 L-1000 anchor (as much and any bass sounds like any other bass)
  14. LongHairFreak

Welllll... That's no good. Let me see if I can find them elsewhere.