1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone know about "Spanish Basses"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 20, 2012.

1. JACink

JACink

Hi Guys (and gals),

A question out of curiosity here!

There are a few good Spanish luthiers that make guitars, and I was looking around for any that made Accoustic Basses.

However, I came accross something that interested me, but I couldn't find much info on the web.

There is an instrument, that dates back to the 18th century, called a "Bajo Español" (Spanish Bass) that it seems is still produced today by a few luthiers.

This resembles an Accoustic Bass, but with nylon strings, and I believe it is of a shorter scale than most AB´s. There are 4 string and 6 string versions, and are used mainly in spanish "folk" type music.

Does anyone know anything about these? I would love to find more info, but am failing to do so!!

Thanks (as always!).
  2. Crater

Crater

I grew up near the mexican border in El Paso, Texas - right across the Rio Grande river from Juarez, Mexico. I've seen a lot of Mariachi bands over the years, they usually have a guy playing a guitar-like bass, usually fretless, usually with 6 strings and they look to be fairly short scale. I've known them to be called a "Guitarron" or a "bajo sexto"....
  3. JACink

JACink

The bass I am referring to is not a Guitarron, but is actually more like a spanish guitar shape.

I have been searching for a few photos that I saw the other day, but I can´t find the right combination of "google words" to find the site again!
  4. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

They make these in the Philippines too. Giant bodies strung with cabling wire. Someday when I retire there I will buy one on a lark.