Anyone know about the Ashdown VS-115?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ToadWarrior, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ToadWarrior

ToadWarrior

I'm looking into getting a new cabinet, and possibly a new amp down the road, to move away from my boomy, hissy, scooped, Hartke VX410, bought it at a time when I didn't know I preferred older school bass tones.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinion on the Ashdown 115? I love the look, not sure about the weight though seems kind of heavy and I was looking to lighten the load a little bit and move to a more modular rig.

I was also looking at the new Fender Bassman 115, it's pricey but light, and probably sounds awesome.

I'll mostly be playing british invasion through 70s era rock,older country, and blues, dabbling in prog and metal on my own time, massive volume is not an issue because I'll be playing with PA support when needed and considerate players volume wise.

Any recommendations for a lightweight old school voiced 115 in the 400 dollar area?

Thanks!
  2. 2400

The VS-115 sounds and looks great, a little dark but not entirely without top end. It likes precision bass and tube amp. It's really heavy, though, and the tolex marks easily.
  3. punchclock

punchclock

The Fender Bassman Pro 115 is awesome.
    light, warm. if you dig a 15, you'll like it.
    I'm really happy with mine.
  4. ToadWarrior

ToadWarrior

Yeah I'm becoming increasingly interested in the Pro15.... It's pricey but I almost wonder if it would mean a quick end to buying cabs.

I wonder how my Hartke HA3500 would sound through it until I get a new amp?

Do you think the Pro115 is best paired with a big tube amp like the new bassman series, or do you think I could get a way with using a microhead like the TC Rebel or Aguilar Tonehammer?

On the other hand there is the Carvin Br-115, abit heavier, but also around 300bucks cheaper, I can only assume it would sound like ass in comparison though, right?
  5. Register to disable this ad