Anyone know about these Hohner "Steinburger" B2A V Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SinglecutGuy, Feb 20, 2014.

1. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy

Disclosures:
    Employee at a Guitar Shop
    Hey guys, hoping you can give me some info on this bass as I can't seem to find too much online. I just took this in on trade, and I'm having a hard time finding not only what the value might be, but even a year/time period when it was made. I can't seem to find a serial number anywhere on it to look up a date or anything like that.

Does anyone have experience with these? Any info on value or year range would be most helpful. Thanks so much!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. bassteban

bassteban

I have an older variation- 4-string, was originally black lacquered and has a detuner on the E string. HORRIBLE active preamp, otherwise well-made and solid. I defretted it badly(functional but ugly), then started a major rebuild, stripping and adding body wings. Cost me $600+, 20+ years ago.
  3. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy

Disclosures:
    Employee at a Guitar Shop
    Cool thanks!

Anyone else?
  4. rtslinger

rtslinger

this is all I could find on it

The HOHNER Professional Series
    was developed in the mid 80s in a
    collaboration of HOHNER with vintage
    guitar legend Thomas Weilbier. Since
    then, the HOHNER Headless guitars
    and basses with the unique headless
    hardware licensed by Steinberger® have established
    themselves as a legendary niche.
    The instruments are short, light and ideal for travel. The G3T
    headless guitars are just under 80cm long and the B2 basses
    just under 1m, yet both series provide a full scale!
    Bronislav Kovarik aka Bruno (Hypnos, ex Krabathor)
    B2ADB
    B2AV
    B2B
    G3T
    B2ADB
    The active HOHNER B2ADB 4-string headless bass comes with a detonable
    bridge licensed by Steinberger, active electronics and two humbucking EVL
    pickups, two active tone controls, two volume controls and one concentric
    tone control. The B2ADB has an active/passive switch and is one of the very
    few active basses that can also be used in passive mode. The active status
    is indicated by a red status LED. You will never be down again because of a
    drained battery!
    Colors: Black (BK) – lefthand model available!, Grey Nickel Stain (GNS),
    Oil Finish (OIL) – lefthand model available!
    B2A
    The HOHNER B2A 4-string headless bass is identical to the B2ADB, except for
    the bridge. The B2A comes with a standard 4-string headless bridge licensed
    by Steinberger. The HOHNER B2A Headless Bass gives you a powerful sound
    with plenty of punch, grunt and bottom end!
    Colors: Black (BK) – lefthand model available!
    B2AV
    The HOHNER B2AV-WS is a headless 5-string bass in the classy walnut stain
    with active electronics. It comes with a 5-string bridge licensed by Steinberger,
    two EVL J-style pickups, two volume controls and one concentric
    tone control. Like the B2ADB, the B2AV is equipped with active tone
    control and the active/passive switch with the red status LED and the
    foldable leg-rest.
    Colors: Black (BK)- lefthand model available

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/280208/Hohner-Essential-Series-Essential-Folk.html?page=12
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BruceWane

BruceWane

They're very much the same as the Steinberger Spirit line of basses, J-J pickups instead of soapbars. Likely built in the same factory overseas.

The few I've played, Steinberger or Hohner, were really quite good for the price range.

A lot of players will not consider them due to looks, so you can often pick them up used for pretty cheap.

If you're OK with the looks of them, they're pretty good as-is, they also make a pretty good starting platform for pickup and electronics upgrades. Everyting else - the bridge and headpiece - are good as-is.

Edited to add - the weathering on that particular one would have me a little worried. Looks to me like it may have spent a fair amount of time exposed to moisture.
  7. corsa

corsa Supporting Member

8. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

fivers are rare to see, especially with a functioning leg plate attached...and a hard case? Last clean one I saw was about 500.00
  9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I haven't tried that particular bass, but I currently own a HOHNER B2ADB. The four string with the detunable bridge and soapbar pickups. The Hohner plays really well, nice neck- really a nice bass. Paid $250 for mine used.(perfect condition with leg plate and Hohner soft gig bag)
    The five string you have is a rarer model- I've seen only one at a store I visited in California- if memory serves me correctly it was selling for about $400. Can't remember if it had the leg plate though.

Thing to test on these basses, if the strings tune up fine with just the tuner wheels on the bridge. Sometimes they're hard to turn and may need a screwdriver to tighten further- if that's the case, look at the screw(s) to make sure it isn't damaged or bent.
  10. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

Someone switched the back strap button? Don't tell me this bass had neck dive issues? :)
  11. bassteban

bassteban

If you're saying this because of the apparent second rear strap button hole, mine had two rear buttons- I assume for better balance when sitting on end.
  12. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

So that's not a mod? It'd make sense then that there are 2 buttons for easy switching, because it ís an option that can come in handy. But not if you have to move the button every time :)
  13. gleneg61

gleneg61

These Hohners have always come with 2 end strap pins, simply for standing/leaning n for different strap positions plus I've never seen one without the fold out leg rest. Only the original steinbergers back in the early 80's had the pull out curved ones. I've got a lefty 5er as a back up bass just like yours, plays n sounds fine, well made, no probs with it. These 5's were mostly made in the mid-late 2000's so it's likely around 5-10 yrs old I'd say. I bought mine in '08 new from an eBay dealer in the US, paid around $600 then so check on eBay for current used prices.