1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Anyone know anything about classical guitars?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gasman, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Hey all. I'm in the market for a classical guitar, but honestly don't know what to look for. I've been noodling on a friend's beat up classical and my son's junior size, and I'm becoming addicted to playing them. Both seem to play easier than my acoustic and Strat. I don't know if it's because I"m playing finger style, the wider spacing of the strings, or the nylon strings themselves.

Any ideas where I should start? I can spend upwards of $1000, but obviously would like to spend less.

2. Ask your question at www.classicalguitardelcamp.com. You'll reach a more informed crowd there.

I've been playing classical guitar for fun off and on for more than 15 years. I found the advice there quite good.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Generally, I find if you're looking for something decent to noodle around on but is still inexpensive, Yamaha makes good stuff under $200. There's always more expensive stuff, but they make great low priced stuff.

5. I'll second the recommendation for Yamaha - find a late 70's or early 80's g250 off eBay or Craigslist in great shape for 200-250 and you'll get a great sounding guitar.

I have a g250 and a g245 both are terrific.

6. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Thanks, guys!

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

My wife plays classical guitar. Her current one was put together by the guy who taught her as a teenager, but she's been looking at getting a new one. You can get a quite decent Cordoba C5 or C7 in the $300-500 range new.

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I got a no-name one that plays and sounds just fine at a garage sale for $40... then again, I don't have classical guitar chops, I just noodle around on it.

9. oniman7

oniman7 Supporting Member

Honestly, I would go to a music store and try some out. I got mine for $300 or do and I love it. You'll know what you like