1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anyone know anything about the brand Pan?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nolageek, Jan 10, 2014.

1. nolageek

nolageek Supporting Member

2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

I have a Pan strat so this may not help much but my advice is to play it first before you buy it unless it's selling for $50. The electronics on mine are typical from a cheap 60's standpoint - noisy and thin. Frets and neck have aged badly as well and impossible to intonate. It looks nice hanging on my studio wall "though and I got it for $25.00.
  3. nolageek

He's selling it for $100. Haven't even seen a picture yet, but wanted to research it a bit.
  4. lug

lug

I had one back in the 70's. Not a bad little bass at all, never gave me any trouble. No idea what I did with it but remember still having the neck to it years later.
  5. brad houser

brad houser

The first bass I ever spent any time on was a newish Pan P bass around 1977. At that time they were the Squier equivalent, though not made by Fender. The one I was playing on was definitely a Fender clone, it was well built. I'd love to play one now, just out of curiosity.
  6. nolageek

So, finally heard back from him (my fault, my text messages were not working) and he said that one of the tuners were damaged over the weekend and needs to be replaced. The wood is fine so replacing it will be easy. But, he said he'll drop the price to $40 because of it. Since I just fixed my SMS messages, I haven't gotten any pics yet but he'll be sending them this evening. I have to admit, I'm curious. For $40 it may be a fun project if the rest of it is in decent shape.
  7. nolageek

Definitely needs the tuner replaced, it basically snapped. What's the chances I can find a tuner(s) from fleabay that wont involve re-drilling anything?

Attached Files:

8. BrianToska

BrianToska

$40? Do it!! I would
  9. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Pan is one of the many brand names used on sometimes the exact same instrument that were all MIJ by Aria, one of the seminal companies in the globalization of guitar-making.
  10. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    If you are patient, tuners like it will come up from time to time on ebay - there are a few varieties, but they are essentially the same machine w/different paddle designs. Otherwise, the boxed-gear tuners on cheap Fenders are commonly found (set) on ebay.

like this set - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sek...327?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d177228df
  11. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    For a short time in the mid 70s Alembic would take those basses and do an electronic rehab on them, selling them as Pan/Alembic basses for a reasonable price. If you can find either the P or J model I recommend them. They have improve shielding, pots and pickups but no active electronics. I played them both back in the day and was impressed.
  12. nolageek

Interesting Roy. I should be getting this one tomorrow. Here's to hoping it's not a total POS. :)
  13. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Here's a link to the Alembic Club thread on Pan modified by Alembic:
    http://alembic.com/club/messages/393/82594.html?1279124239
    Guitars Unlimited Sales Warehouse in Ft. Worth, TX were a dealer. I played them there and later bought my Alembic Series I from there. L D Heater was distributing both at the time.
  14. nolageek

Just got home with the new addition. It plays really well (as compared to my other medicore basses!) but definitely needs a little love.

The tuning peg snapped right off.
    Definitely needs new strings. :bassist:
    The bridge is a weird replacement of the original. I'm not sure why the original was removed, but I'm going to remove this one when I change the strings so I can see if I can simply install an original style (assuming a regular gibson style will fit.) You can see the original holes peeking out from the replacement bridge.
    A little rust going on.
    The bridge tone knob (bottom rear) is really crackly. Once you stop turning it, it's silent though.

More to follow, but first.. pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

I'm glad you got it. $40.00 was a great price even if it just hangs on the wall. ;)
  16. nolageek

Thanks! I was playing it last night - very fun, I like the neck. It's my first short scale bass too, so that was different. I like it.

I read on a thread here that a MM style bridge may fit it? I didn't want to spend $100 bucks on a SuperTone or a tail/bridge combo so I got a cheap MM style bridge from eBay to see if the posts fit. If so I may just use it.

I do notice that it's a bit neck heavy, but not as bad as my epiphone 'SG' guitar.
  17. The EH Man

The EH Man Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    That looks like a Fender Musicmaster bass bridge.
  18. The EH Man

The EH Man Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    Better pics of the tuners? I might have a spare.

Edit: never mind. I must've skipped over the pics. i'll check my parts.
  19. nolageek

I actually have a tuner coming from jbybj (wow, such generous people on this forum!)

Yeah, the current bridge is a musicmaster (or some other fender replacement) but you can barely see the large holes for the posts of some sort of Gibson style bridge. I could get a vintage style EB3 or other bridge (tune-a-matic style) but I want to be sure the posts fit and are the correct distance from each other. I like the idea of the MM bridge, if it fits, because it will cover up all the holes a previous owner put in when installing the Musicmaster bridge. I'm just wondering what's under the bridge that may have made them go this route.
  20. Red_Label

Red_Label

I used to have a Pan/Alembic strat in sunburst. It was the guitar that started it all for me almost 30 years ago. I wore it out. Eventually ended-up putting a USA Fender Strat neck on it and trading it off to someone. But I still have the pickguard that says "Alembic" on it. Not a valuable guitar, but I really wish I still had it for sentimental reasons.