Anyone Know of A Cheap Quality Bass Guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deoindra123, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Deoindra123

Deoindra123

I':eyebrow:m looking for a cheap slap bass, any recommendations?

2. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Squiers seem to be pretty good - both the Jazz and Precision. Inexpensive too.

3. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

+1 to Squier. A lot of folks have a lot of love for Ibanez. Jackson JS2 or 3 if you like "Pointy" basses, although I probably just started a flame war with that one. Sorry. :bag:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a "Slap bass" more a function of setup then design?

4. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

I have only direct experience with two inexpensive basses that I liked the slap tones from (granted I'm pretty bad at the traditional slap techniques). I think both the Squier vintage modified or classic vibe precisions or the Ebmm sub series basses make for great slap tones on a budget.
    however, slap is more a function of technique and set up rather than bass, but precisions and ray style basses have always been my preference.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mixamatchi

mixamatchi

I really like Peavey foundation series basses w/ maple fretboard for slap. Used for $100-$300. Also, the SX basses seem to get lots of love. My main basses are Schecter stilettos, and I can get great slap from them w/ rosewood. +1 to the Squier VM series. They also sound nice, and are cheap. As with all "cheap" basses, it's best to go play them. You may love, or hate the ones I like.

7. Hock

Hock

I love my Glen Burton P bass. Squier is good though. Toby is my favorite if you want to spend about 170. Low action is the way to go for slapping.

8. shackled

shackled

Really? I always thought the action should be a little higher...

9. hotsauce n eggs

hotsauce n eggs

I think the first thing to know is what the OP's definition of "cheap" is. For some people "cheap" is anything under $1000 for others it's under $300 or even $200.

Also, what are your purposes for getting it? Do you want to get it as an axe to see if you even like playing bass and then if you decide you do the plan is to get something nicer? Or is this gonna be something that you want to hold onto for a couple years with the possibility of gigging before upgrading to something more expensive?

10. Deoindra123

Deoindra123

I've played bass for over three years and Im just lloking to upgrade, I found this bass http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Bass/Toby-Standard-IV.aspx
    but don't know if its good for slap?

11. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for Squier here. If you happen to stumble across a decent used one, they can be had very cheap. I just picked up a Squier P bass in very good condition for $89.

12. AllenLee

AllenLee

I personally haven't ventured much into the slap/pop technique but it seems you can't go wrong with a Fender Jazz bass.
    Fender's entry level Squier Affinity series Jazz bass would be great to get into slapping, IMO. Check your local classifieds. Entry-level instruments can usually be found for much cheaper used than buying new due to people buying them and ending up not getting into it.

Best of luck; let us know what you decided. :thumbup:

13. Arthur Strand

Arthur Strand

I have a Squier PB: It is O.K. and it cost me £60 GB used. Underpriced so I gave the W.Indian lad an extra £10. These are that inexpensive, especially second-hand, that you would not lose out if it was broken or stolen. As for playing different styles. That is technique and set-up of instrument tone controls, sound effects units and amplification. It is recommended that you become established at regular bass playing before branching out into stuff like slap bass or anything else for that matter.

14. bill reed

bill reed

Yamaha RBX170. really good bass and very underratted.
    always liked Yamaha as there are quality. even the cheeper ones.

15. subdude67

subdude67

totaly agree! i find the 170 is a stunning bass for the price!

16. RodBR

RodBR

Sx or Squier.

17. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Stay the HELL away from the Affinity series, other Squiers may be ok. ESP ltd is very underrated with good quality and consistency. Ibanez has good entry level stuff and Dean is decent. One thing you will most likely need to pay attention to is string spacing. You may want more traditional wider spacing for slap.

18. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that? Supporting Member

I have a Squier CV 60's Jazz (very good), an SX Ursa 6 (good), and I also have this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-affinity-5-string-jazz-bass-v

You can find them for as low as $150-180, and they are good. Read the specs. Read the reviews. Go try one (that is properly set up).

19. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Try out some old 80s Ibanez basses - the Roadsters, Musicians etc.

20. DuckMike

DuckMike

Take a look at the Ibanez ATK 200

21. Bassman62

Bassman62

When I sold my MM Stingray5 last year I bought a Squier Affinity 5 as a backup to my G&L L2500, best value for money I've had.