Anyone know what the deal with these are?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudex12, Dec 24, 2013.

1. dudex12

dudex12

2. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

no way that's anything but a Squier
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I don't trust it and this would make me run "It was never actually sold by Fender so has no serial number".
  4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

What's stamped into the wood in the back of the headstock under the small "Fender" decal?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dudex12

dudex12

I just has an engraving saying "USA". The neckplate says "Fender, Corona California". But the electronics look US made. The wiring is shielded and the pots are made in the US.
  7. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Is this your assessment or the seller's?

Complete and utter büllshchidtt. Dude sanded off everything but the flattering part on the back of the headstock.

[​IMG]
  8. Steveaux

Steveaux

It's a Squier VMF-J.

The seller lies.
  9. dudex12

dudex12

Yeah that's what my suspicions were. I went to try them out, they both play well are seem like a good deal for $500, but the J bass isn't a Fender.

I think he upgraded the pickups though, is there an easy way to tell? As I said above, the wires are shielded, does that mean anything? I thought that normally meant U.S. pickups as the MIM basses I've had don't have shielded wiring.
  10. Justice

Justice

Disclosures:
    The bass rescuer...
    1) why would USA be stamped on the back of an MIM neck.
    2) If Fender went to the trouble to put the little "Fender" decal on the back, why couldn't the put one on the front.
    3) at minimum it looks like the pickups and knobs have been changed on the Jazz.

Here are pics of my VM Fretless for comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you are serious about them, offer him $400 for the pair. He may be undervaluing the P bass while over valuing the jazz. Hell, he may be being completely honest and the guy he got them from fed him a load of bull about the jazz at the time.
  11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

He seems to be accurate in his description of the P ... Black Label Squier Series, with the stock single ply pickguard, would have been circa 93-98 range, cant read the serial # ...

Jazz is indeed a Squier VM Fretless with the ebanol neck ... the couple of these I had, the neck uses the 'flat bottom' tuning machines, so they may have been changed ... as mentioned pups have definitely been changed, but the body is original Squier ... I hate to give away one of my little ID secrets, but if you are checking for a pot upgrade, look at the knobs ... if there is no set screw, they are splined shaft, and would be Squier stock pots ...
  12. Justice

Justice

Disclosures:
    The bass rescuer...
  13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Yup, I couldn't read it .. I am old ... ;)

Edit to add: forgot to mention, the 'Squier Series' at the end of the headstock denotes a slightly lower quality than the 'Black Label's' that do not have that ... the Squier Series basses came with the one piece pickguard stock (as this appears to have) and lower quality hardware than the non Squier Series black labels (often referred to as 'Traditional Series') ...