1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anyone own a bass they hate the look of?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DudeLeap, Feb 23, 2013.

1. DudeLeap

DudeLeap

I was thinking back to when I was younger when I hated the look of Stingray but then actually heard how good they sound and how well they play. The look grew on me and now I'd like to own one (someday). It got me to thinking, does anyone own any basses they don't care for the look of but own because of the sound and the way it plays? I know in the long run it should be about the sound and feel but there has got to be a line some people won't cross.

2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

[​IMG]

Still don't really like the look of them even after owning them for about 8 years now...

but the necks are really sweet, and the do active and passive both !

3. Alard

Alard

I have a Dean Jeff Berlin.
    The body is a not so nicely grained piece of alder.
    Wouldn't be bad if they would have covered it with a solid finish. Instead, it's finished in a transparent Bilious Green.
    So awful my camera refuses to take a picture.

Plays like butter, though.

4. emf818

emf818

I'm not too big of a fan of the headstock on my Ibanez. It has a weird shape to it and i'm more of a 4 on one side guy but it plays good and is better then my other bass so i guess it all evens out.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

I have an Ibanez GSR200 as well. The body is ok, but that headstock is as ugly as home-made sin. In addition it sounds pretty nondescript as well, so it's going to become "Trade-up" fodder when I finish putting some cash together.

7. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Every Fender or Squier, with the MB5 being the exception. The headstocks not matching the rest of the Bass bothers me.

8. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

I've got a Rickenbacker 4003S/8 in Ruby Red. While I love the look of Rickenbacker basses, I don't like red. I've always been intending on repainting it white or something. I've owned it since 1989.... and I still haven't repainted it!!!

9. D4NK

D4NK

Nope. I have a body that looks like a fine wood coffee table. Absolutley killer. Ltd- B4

10. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

My Ibanez SR500. It's the one bass I regret buying. I don't like how it looks or sounds.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Since my first criterion when buying a bass is looks, no.

12. spade2you

spade2you

Some of less traditional basses can have far superior ergonomics.

13. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

If its ugly, it aint coming home with me.

Saying used for more than just bass guitars...

14. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

its my last...lol

15. Darren Low

Darren Low

:eek: that's my favourite colour on a ric

16. rickwebb

rickwebb

I had a Dean Rhapsody 8-String bass. Loved the sound, absolutely HATED the way it looked. Sold it to a friend and bought an ESP LTD B-208. And i like the ESP better anyway.

17. unclejane

unclejane Guest

I have an opposite situation of a bass I love the looks of but absolutely hate playing - my Rick 4003.

But as for the other way around, the only line I don't think I'll ever cross is the Carvin SB4000/5000. And I"m a Carvin fanatic - I have 2 Bunnies and am contemplating a 3rd Carvin, probably a Bromberg.

But that upper horn just makes the poor thing so absolutely butt-homely I don't think I'd ever get one. Even tho it's one of the best Jazz style basses you can get, I just can't pull the trigger on it because to me it's so hideous.

All the rest of their basses I love the looks of, just not that one.

However, if one landed in my lap I'd certainly play it.

LS

18. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

nope...never have.

19. Max Pratt

Max Pratt

Oh yes!!!!

My first bass, a fiesta red Washburn scavenger with all original hardware and electronics, not sure how old, but I got it used from a guy who got it used when he was in college.

Its the one on the right, sorry about pics.

1361676551768.jpg

20. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Only thing I don't like about those Trabens is the God Aweful looking bridge. Other than that I think the body shape and woods are quite attractive

21. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

I'm kind of strange on this. I have never seen an ugly dog, or an ugly bass/guitar.

I bought two Fender Jazz basses because I like their thinner necks, and I love their sound. I think they are nice looking instruments, but that had nothing to do with why I bought them.